Automatically Get PocketSense Data at 4:30 AM After Each Market Day RRS feed

• General discussion

• The motivation is to collect daily closing price data into Money at an optimum time. This will avoid having to remember, and it will avoid windows of time that might associate the wrong day with quotes. While a daily price may be good, collecting weekly closing prices would be an easy variation. Here is the evolving method:

1. Create a PocketSense folder set up to only fetch the accounts that you want to get quotes from on each market day. I will call that C:\PS_day in my example.  There is not a need to get credit cards on that daily schedule, for example. I had added  MoneyImportResponder.exe to that folder from version compiled by HleOfxQuotes. ALERT: A little later my firewall alerted me that netsession_win.exe was trying to access the internet.  It may be that the compiler added some weirdness. Why would something try to access the internet when it is to do something on my own machine. So I have installed a MinGW compiler and converted this from a C++ file to a c file to simplify things.  I have compiled that. I named its output mir_c.exe so far. More info to follow....

2. Make a batch file that would
     a. CD  C:\PS_day
     b. If today is Tue...Sat, Getdata.py
     c. Append time and date to a log file (optional)

d. Launch MoneyImportResponder.exe to push OK.

3.  Set up that batch file to run at 4:30 AM daily. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308569 tells how to create scheduled task in Windows XP. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/schedule-a-task shows the method in Windows 7.

MoneyImportResponder.exe pushes the OK button, but it will not handle a rare unexpected pop-up such as an error message, at this point.  It  A reported error will stop the automated button pressing, and you will attend to that manually in that case. Note the computer must be on. If the computer is off at the scheduled time, no action is taken.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 6:08 PM

All replies

• I have made some changes in my batch files and process. This includes modifying the OK button pressing to be a Python program, as PocketSense code in Python.

In my plan for now, I will trigger some account download manually, and just get mainly quotes via daily OFX retrieval. However there is no need to do it that way, and I could fetch credit card transactions daily too.

• Edited by Cal LearnerModerator Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:20 PM removed link... improved files to follow.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:25 PM
  • I have added the ability to not only push the OK button for the "Import summary: Import Complete" pop-up, but also for the "A communication error has occurred ..." popup that may happen upon occasion.

This is working nicely for me. If there is interest in the revised files, I will be glad post them as I did the earlier files.

The window pop-down utility could be used in a batch file doing the PocketSense scripts "now", or it can be used with the scheduled fetching that this thread is about.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:06 PM
  • I  simplified things, switched the Pop-down utilty to Python to match PocketSense, and put the files into PS_day1.zip file at

http://www.mediafire.com/?iavip4e6kgrbh1k

Note description files in the zip file, PS_Day1.txt and PS_Day1.rtf, are the same, except for the format.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:50 PM