Auto setup of the uPnP router RRS feed

• Question

• Any help would be appreciated :

We have a Draytek 2700G router - with uPnP services running, and identied on uPnP network.

WHS seems NOT to be able to see this uPnP router, and hence we had to setup the router (port forwarding maunally) - which is not sucha big deal, but then we had (also) to fix the IP address of the WHS based on it's MAC address.....  not so hard for us to do - but what about WHS being 'for all' ?

for WHS to really fulfill it's potential small details like auto config of a router must be fixed -

again any feedback is warmly welcomed

Friday, July 13, 2007 2:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Ther are numerous routers that advertise themselves as uPnP aware/compatable, however during testing, quite a lot of them don't 'quite' meet the requirements!

I can't imagine how WHS can manage ALL possible routers, but, I think the instructions for installation should highlight the possible problem and give a manual way of implementing the port forwarding. This will also be needed for people who are running known non-uPnP routers.

Not sure what you mean by 'fix the IP address', it's not something that has arisen before, looking through the threads, what happened and why?

Colin

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:28 PM
  • Colin,

Thanks for the reply (quick, and clear)

re uPnP - I suppose the world now expects the word 'universal' to mean all encompassing - or at least 'working to a standard'  is it fair to assume that only 'some uPnP routers will work. ??

small question - the WHS dev unit is not directly connected, but it is going through a 'LAN switch' - could this be a possible cause of the issue - we'll try a direct connect next week........

re 'fixed IP address' - we supposed that as the WHS was headless, we would fix the IP address, by way of MAC fixing in the router ......... why a fixed address ?.... well if the port forwarding table had a DHCP based address in it - this could mess things up after a power cut, and systems came back on in a different order ?

feedback most welcome, as always.....

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:37 PM
  • auto setup of all routers is not supported at this time. we have been told this feature will be available in the retail version.
    hope this helps,
    Jimi
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 8:56 PM
  • Jimi

we certainly hope the auto uPnP of routers will work, we can't expect such a slick and easy (domestic) server appliance to have to be 'IP routed' by hand, with DHCP issued IP addresses etc - this would simply cause a massive headache !!

let's see if MS do indeed offer a working solution in the next few weeks.

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:09 PM
  • I'm hoping this is something that's fixed as well.  I'm using a Linksys router (WRT54G) with the DD-WRT firmware and uPnP switched on.  The auto config worked fine in the CTP but doesn't function so well on the RC; it worked once, then it refused to work afterwards.

I know my uPnP stack on the router is working as my daughter's MSN Messenger works fine with it, and I've also had uTorrent work with it as well.

I guess my problem may be my own doing, what with the third party firmware and all that, but fortunately I know how to fix it using fixed leases and static port forwards.  I'd be inclined to think that others may not be so able.  Still, anyone who lives near me and has a problem is welcome to contact me and I'll set them up.  For a modest fee, of course

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:30 PM
  • It's not WHS's fault if router manufacturers have their own idea of what constitutes uPnP. In order to configure the router automatically, WHS needs to be able to set the ports. If the router doesn't support this, there's nothing WHS can do, so I think Jimi is wide of the mark there. There is no way this can have been implemented by RTM - even same model routers of the same brand behave differently due to firmware changes.

To test your router, try the MS online test - afterwards you can view the small list of routers that have been found to fully support uPnP:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx

I think it's sensible for WHS to have a fixed address, but a lot of people here seem to be managing OK without. I always used to just set the IP address on the client itself and that always worked for me. Ken Warren points out that this may cause problems if the address is reallocated by the DHCP server, but I've never had that happen.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:46 PM
  • I've got a DrayTek Vigor 2800, and I still can't get it to configure right. What exactly did you do?

BTW, is this forum available on the Microsoft.Public news groups? I'd much rather use a news reader.

Saturday, November 3, 2007 3:30 PM
  •  Nigel Molesworth wrote:

I've got a DrayTek Vigor 2800, and I still can't get it to configure right. What exactly did you do?

If you haven't, you could try configuring the router manually, following the instructions for your router at portforward.com.
     Nigel Molesworth wrote:
    BTW, is this forum available on the Microsoft.Public news groups? I'd much rather use a news reader.
    No. While Microsoft is working on bridging these forums to the newsgroups, they haven't been able to do so as yet.

Saturday, November 3, 2007 3:34 PM