Find out which files were on failed drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I had a drive fail and I've replaced it.  Most of my folders are duplicated but a few are not, so I may need to re-copy some files back to the server. I haven't yet "removed" the failed drive through the storage server console, but the drive is physically removed and completely dead.

Is there any way to determine which files were stored on the old drive before it failed? I'd rather not go through all of my DVDs to figure out which one(s) were on that drive. Is there a list of the files contained on the old drive, so I know exactly what to recopy for non-duplicated folders?

Thanks,
    -Carlton
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 10:11 PM

Answers

• I had a drive fail and I've replaced it.  Most of my folders are duplicated but a few are not, so I may need to re-copy some files back to the server. I haven't yet "removed" the failed drive through the storage server console, but the drive is physically removed and completely dead.

Is there any way to determine which files were stored on the old drive before it failed? I'd rather not go through all of my DVDs to figure out which one(s) were on that drive. Is there a list of the files contained on the old drive, so I know exactly what to recopy for non-duplicated folders?

Thanks,
    -Carlton

There is no supported way to do that.  Having said that, you could try using the Windows Home Server Cleanup Tool.  Using it unsupported, but it should give you a list of every broken reparse point (just don't run the .cmd file it creates because that will delete the reparse points and then you'll never know what's missing).
    • Marked as answer by Carlton Bale Monday, September 7, 2009 3:00 PM
    Monday, September 7, 2009 1:27 AM

All replies

Thanks,
    -Carlton

There is no supported way to do that.  Having said that, you could try using the Windows Home Server Cleanup Tool.  Using it unsupported, but it should give you a list of every broken reparse point (just don't run the .cmd file it creates because that will delete the reparse points and then you'll never know what's missing).
    • Marked as answer by Carlton Bale Monday, September 7, 2009 3:00 PM
    Monday, September 7, 2009 1:27 AM
  • Thank you!
    Monday, September 7, 2009 3:00 PM