PC Restore Fails with Unknown Network Error RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently trying to restore one of my clients (Vista Business) to a new HDD (higher capacity) using the WHS restore facility.

The Wizard works fine going through the process of installing the drives, initalizing the disk and connecting to the WHS OK. It then starts restoring but keeps failing with an Unknow network error has occured during PC Restore. I have tried disconnecting the internet but this does not help. I also have a seperate client pinging the WHS and the DHCP router throughout and don't get failures.

If I keep restarting the restore using the back option it carries on counting down the time remaining until it eventually gets to 0 seconds. It then flips to say 24692 days 0 hours 13 minutes remaining (always the same time). It then just seems to stick at this point.

The last failure caused an entry in the HomeServer log of Event ID: 266
    Restore of TINYCLANGER C:\ by 192.168.50.59 has failed

Anybody any ideas? 

Tim
    Vote for Froglet (http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/Clangers/Voteforfroglet.htm)
    • Edited by Froglet_ Saturday, February 7, 2009 7:05 PM Update
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 7:03 PM

Answers

• Well third time lucky. Seems to have completed OK now.
    • Marked as answer by Froglet_ Saturday, February 7, 2009 9:19 PM
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 9:19 PM

All replies

• Well third time lucky. Seems to have completed OK now.
    • Marked as answer by Froglet_ Saturday, February 7, 2009 9:19 PM
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 9:19 PM
  • I'm having this error now when trying to restore a laptop.

Booting with restore-cd works fine, it finds harddrives and NIC.
    I can start Restore PC Wizard, find the laptop in the list and choose a date.
    Clicks restore and wizard comes to estimating remaining time.

Here it stops and throws me the error:

"An unknown network error has occured during PC restore"

The WHS machine is still online.
    I can access it, RDP it, use its shares from other computers and the Xbox360 accesses shares without problems.

Any ideas?

The Log folder under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs have entries, but I don't know where to start really.

I've restored complete machines and/or folders before without errors, this is new to me.

One WHS v1 machine in the basement with a mixed setup of harddrives in and outside the storage pool. And now, next to it, a Vail Refresh brother for beta duties.
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:46 PM
  • Seems like I've found the source of the problem.

Looking through the settings on the home network's Router, I discovered some Port Forward settings I've made (don't remember why, could be after reading some "advice" somewhere...) for the WHS machine.
    Fine, but they pointed at an IP-number not in use...

Deleted the rules and the WHS machine showed up in the Network part in Explorer (it had been missing for some time, but I hadn't put much thought about it).

Now I should try a Restore and see what happens.

One WHS v1 machine in the basement with a mixed setup of harddrives in and outside the storage pool. And now, next to it, a Vail Refresh brother for beta duties.
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:55 AM