Just installed Home Server, I didn't know what to do next because there was nothing to tell me. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am NOT a novice. I downloaded and installed the demo of Home Server. Install went smooth and then I got to the opening screen which informed me in an IE page, that "caution, you are logged in to the Windows Home Server. Many (paraphrase) things you do on this particular screen can "break" Windows Home Server. Please read the release guide. Then the release guide link took me to knowwhere. So I did what the Window said and I went to the desktop and tried to launch the Home Server Console. Nothing happened when I double clicked it. After way too much time "dicking around" to figure out what was wrong I finally figured out that my network adapter was not detected. Not one single error message that pointed to that possiblity.

When I got a working network adapter I was finally able to access the Home Server Console. So I guess if the network adapter detect had gone fine all along, it wouldn't have been such a pain in the ____ to get going. From here I didn't know what to do next because there was nothing on the screen to tell me. So I googled a few things (should I have to do that?) and figured out that I was supposed to create installation Cd's for each of my computers in the house that I wanted backup. I did so, and from there things proceeded fairly smoothly.

I asked the Server to "wake up" my laptop from sleep at 12am and do a first time backup. So I left the lid open and put the Win7 laptop to sleep. In the morning I saw that the backup had failed, and after clicking around, there was no explanation as to why. I then right clicked on the home server icon in the tray and I am now manually backing up.

Call me picky but that was not the smoothest experience I could have had, and I believe it was completely an uneccessary experience. Should I not have been given a simple step by step from the very start? I guess some of you would tell me to simply read the manual, which I will, but seriously, you shouldn't have to in the beginning. Anyway, I will now test it for the duration of my demo.

James Fallon - Computer Assistance

Jimmy Fallon Computer Assistance www.mainstreetchatham.com
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 1:48 PM

All replies

• I am NOT a novice. I downloaded and installed the demo of Home Server. Install went smooth and then I got to the opening screen which informed me in an IE page, that "caution, you are logged in to the Windows Home Server. Many (paraphrase) things you do on this particular screen can "break" Windows Home Server. Please read the release guide. Then the release guide link took me to knowwhere. So I did what the Window said and I went to the desktop and tried to launch the Home Server Console. Nothing happened when I double clicked it. After way too much time "dicking around" to figure out what was wrong I finally figured out that my network adapter was not detected. Not one single error message that pointed to that possiblity.

When I got a working network adapter I was finally able to access the Home Server Console. So I guess if the network adapter detect had gone fine all along, it wouldn't have been such a pain in the ____ to get going. From here I didn't know what to do next because there was nothing on the screen to tell me. So I googled a few things (should I have to do that?) and figured out that I was supposed to create installation Cd's for each of my computers in the house that I wanted backup. I did so, and from there things proceeded fairly smoothly.

I asked the Server to "wake up" my laptop from sleep at 12am and do a first time backup. So I left the lid open and put the Win7 laptop to sleep. In the morning I saw that the backup had failed, and after clicking around, there was no explanation as to why. I then right clicked on the home server icon in the tray and I am now manually backing up.

Call me picky but that was not the smoothest experience I could have had, and I believe it was completely an uneccessary experience. Should I not have been given a simple step by step from the very start? I guess some of you would tell me to simply read the manual, which I will, but seriously, you shouldn't have to in the beginning. Anyway, I will now test it for the duration of my demo.

James Fallon - Computer Assistance

When you purchase a pre-built server from an OEM manufacturer, that's exactly what you get.  However, when you build your own using an OEM license (full or trial), you are your own support (there is no manual).  However, there are plenty of Technical Briefs/tutorials on how to use WHS when you DIY.
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 4:44 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. It seems that to include the words "you now need to install clients on all the other computers in the house" and then provide a button to do so, would require minimal effort, with maximum results. IMO.

Thanks... question answered...

jf

Sunday, April 25, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Explanations are often found in the event log of the client (although they are not always readable for a normal user).  Also it may be the client not waking up on it's own (the server does not initiate the backup, it provides only the information for the connector software, when a backup is possible).

On my own I prefer backups during working time anyway (why waste electrical power during night?) - and the first backup of a machine is known as of taking much longer than every subsequent backup.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:25 PM
  • You could always download the documentation from say HP or Acer - some of the particulars won't apply to you but it will give you a good idea of how to live with Windows Home Server.
    --
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:11 AM