How to move files to a new server PC RRS feed

• Question

• I currenently am running WHS on an old outdated Dell with two 250gb IDE drives and just bought a newer dell Optiplex with 2 750gb SATA drives. My question is what is the best and safest way to move files over to the new server, can the OS be moved or will it have to be a fresh install of WHS.
    Can I just put the IDE drives into the new DELL and copy the Files to the SATA drives?

Lots of Questions I know but I don't want to lose anything.

Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:37 PM

All replies

• The easiest thing to do (not the fastest) would be to just copy from the shares on one to the shares on the other. Not quite as easy, but much faster, would be to turn on duplication for all your shares (if it's not already on), then wait for Windows Home Server to finish copying the files. Then shut down the old server and move the second hard drive to the new server. Now copy everything you find in the folders <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. into your server's shares: \\localhost\etc. Do not copy to D:\Shares\etc. on your new server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Or try a "server reinstallation" - if it detects all your data, it should rebuild the tombstones for you
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:07 AM