WL1 subscription renewal RRS feed

• Question

• My WL1Care automatic renewal is due a few days before a scheduled surgery that will keep me off my pc for about 2 months so I want to turn  the equipment off until I return home, and renew my subscription then. The renewal notice says Do Not  Reply. Whom do I notify of this? Thanks.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:59 PM

Answers

• I'm moving this to the General topic folder.

Is your subscription purchased via a credit card? If so, the renewal will happen if your PC is online or not. When your PC is powered back on, OneCare will be expired and will need to refresh the credentials.

If your subscription was done with a retail key, it will expire and remain expired until you are ready to purchase/activate a new subscription.

-steve

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:13 PM
  • And may the surgery and recovery go well for you.

-steve

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:14 PM
  • Thank you for your good wishes and bless ya', Steve  - me again

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:27 PM

All replies

• I'm moving this to the General topic folder.

Is your subscription purchased via a credit card? If so, the renewal will happen if your PC is online or not. When your PC is powered back on, OneCare will be expired and will need to refresh the credentials.

If your subscription was done with a retail key, it will expire and remain expired until you are ready to purchase/activate a new subscription.

-steve

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:13 PM
  • And may the surgery and recovery go well for you.

-steve

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:14 PM
  • Thank you for your good wishes and bless ya', Steve  - me again

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:27 PM
  • Yes, my subscription was pchs'd by credit card. I don't think I would want to pay for 2-plus months for somehting that I won't be needing. How do I let it expire? Seeing that Morro will be available in June, would a whole year's sub. make sense? Thanks

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:33 PM
  • After looking into this some more, it appears that the WL1Care has a Firewall included and therefore I don't need the  Windows firewall shield  that the malicious software remover installed today. Am I correct? Thks. - me again

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Taking it one item at a time -

If your credit card is on file, your credit card will be automatically charged on the renewal date unless you renew earlier with a retail key. If you call to cancel now, your subscription will be immediately canceled. If you wait until the day before your surgery, you might forget or have a problem getting through to support. So, my recommendation is to go ahead and let it auto-renew, since the new product will be available by the time your 12 months are up anyway, so you won't need to renew again.

Alternatively, pick up a retail copy of OneCare (Amazon - 19.99 plus shipping) and use the retail PIN/Key to renew at any time, this overrides the credit card renewal.

I still don't know what firewall icon you are referring to. The Malicious software removal tool does not add an icon. If you have a red shield for the Windows Security Center, the WMI database is corrupt and needs to be reset:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

If the red icon is not from the Windows Security Center or OneCare, it may be a sign that your PC is infected by malware if it wants you to download and install some security software.

-steve

Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Okay, starting with the red shield icon with the white X in it that popped up beside the  green-circled 1: I found how to remove it. It was from Windows Security and I assume that it is not needed with the WL1Care.

About the Live 1 care, my question was Where do I go to nix the automatic renewal. I would Really like to know...

Regards, me again

Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:38 PM
  • me again said:

About the Live 1 care, my question was Where do I go to nix the automatic renewal. I would Really like to know...

Regards, me again

There is no option to suspend or cancel autorenew. You could try invalidating your credit card information on file at https://billing.microsoft.com - though that may not be possible.
    You will need to either let it autorenew or cancel you subscription when you are ready to turn off the PC for the extended "away" period. You contact customer service to cancel your susbcription. Don't call too early as it will probably cause the subscription to be canceled immediately.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:26 PM