smart failure and how to replace my opperating system after replacing my hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• ive recieved a message that says smart failure predicted on hard drive save all data and replace the hard drive I want to know how to reinstall my opperating system when i replace my hard drive, I have no disks or information for my computer its a lap top and i bought it from a friend what do i do?

Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:03 PM

Answers

• Well, if you have a machine running Windows Home Server, you replace the drive, pop the Home Computer Restore CD in the machine to be repaired, and restore a recent backup. You'll probably want to put storage and network drivers for the PC on a USB thumb drive first, so you can provide them to the Restore CD when requested. You'll find instructions for putting those drivers on a thumb drive in the Home Computer Backup technical brief.

If you don't have Windows Home Server, you should take a look at products like Symantec Ghost or Acronis TrueImage. They're designed to take a disk image and put it on a new drive.
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:57 PM