Bogus hardware errors on HP MediaSmart server after boot partition filled up RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that all the values that the hardware monitors use as a reference are zero'd out.
    The disk filled up with index information(now turned off) and since then the event logs are streaming the following types of error messages and slowing the system down.
    I know they are bogus but the constant hammering on the event log is not good.

Is there any way to resolve this besides rebuilding?  and since this is a HP unit, and I have a DVD how would I if I had too?

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    MediaSmartServer
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    0
    Date:        1/25/2010
    Time:        11:19:35 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    HM2
    Description:
    The AUX 5V sensor is reporting 5053 mV (it should be between 0 mV and 0 mV.)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    MediaSmartServer
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    0
    Date:        1/25/2010
    Time:        11:19:35 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    HM2
    Description:
    The 12V sensor is reporting 11968 mV (it should be between 0 mV and 0 mV.)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Monday, January 25, 2010 5:47 PM

Answers

• Well, the supported option is a server recovery. That's documented (along with a factory reset) in the manuals supplied by HP. It's quite possible that when your disk filled up, Windows was unable to update a registry hive (I've seen that happen if the hive needed to grow, though not on Windows Home Server) as you've suggested. Other than server recovery, HP would be your best resource. And they're likely to start with server recovery...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:15 PM

All replies

• Which model is this?
    --
    Monday, January 25, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Hp EX 475 with 1 500 and 3 1TB disks 2GB RAM
    This first started 24 hours ago, I have cleared the index files, and there is plenty of space now but there are lots of errors in the logs that say many subsystems could not write to the disk when it was full for that short time on 1/24.

I looked in the registry for something that might lead me to it, but no luck.

Thanks in advance if you have some advice.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 6:08 PM
  • Have you tried a reboot yet?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Oh yes, and a chkdsk as well. no errors found.
    It's as if a file or registry key set is missing,  on a normal server I would upgrade or reinstall the HP CIM agents.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Well, the supported option is a server recovery. That's documented (along with a factory reset) in the manuals supplied by HP. It's quite possible that when your disk filled up, Windows was unable to update a registry hive (I've seen that happen if the hive needed to grow, though not on Windows Home Server) as you've suggested. Other than server recovery, HP would be your best resource. And they're likely to start with server recovery...
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Ken,  I appreciate your time, but since reloading would kill all my workstation backups, many are pre-win7 and valuable, plus over 2TB of shares and VMware VM's  I suppose I could offload, the ominous task of a reload is not a pleasant thought.

Is there any HP owners out there that have reinstalled? Since it has no DVD drive, I was wondering what the process would be. (lost the fold out quick ref manual) but do have my CD's which are now of course downlevel.

Thanks
    Monday, January 25, 2010 10:41 PM
    but since reloading would kill all my workstation backups
    Not at all. Read up in your printed documentation on Server Recovery, which is not destructive of either shares or backups as long as all drives are still in place. And check out the technical briefs on the Windows Home Server support page; the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief includes instructions for copying the backup database to external storage.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 10:52 PM
  • The real answer is that these registry keys are under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\Sensor:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\Sensor]
    "pollInterval"=dword:0000000a
    "cpuWarn"=dword:00000052
    "cpuCrit"=dword:00000052
    "upperWarn"="700,-1"
    "upperCrit"="500,-1"
    "lowerWarn"="700,-1"
    "lowerCrit"="500,-1"
    "volts33VWarn"="3069,3531"
    "volts33VCrit"="2970,3630"
    "volts5VWarn"="4650,5350"
    "volts5VCrit"="4500,5500"
    "volts12VWarn"="10200,13800"
    "volts12VCrit"="9600,14400"

Good luck with adding these back in - note this is from my EX490 as my EX470 has found a new home.

--
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Saturday, January 30, 2010 3:41 AM
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 3:41 AM
  • Al, I think you are on the right track but it must be the difference in our hardware versions.  I added the keys, they did not exist at all, and restarted the service that was doing the polling HP HealthMonitor service after a reboot, and no luck.

I was thinking the 2.5 version of HPMSS would correct the missing pieces if I had a way to download it, when I check for updates I get either hp webserver not found or no updates.  It used to update without issue. ( I have HPMSS 1.3 R1)

Is there an independent download of this somewhere, HP's web site suggests using the HP software update applet, and that gets me nothing new.

Thanks for your support!
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:45 PM
  • I can't think why all of your keys would be missing as you only get a warning for a few voltages.  Perhaps the locations are different for the EX475.  I think something somewhere has gone belly up on your system and even if you fix this problem you might have others in the future, detectable or not.

I feel for the time you will exert in trying to find a solution you might best spend that time doing a system restore.  I guess in that case the real answer is indeed that.

However, it will take a long time applying all the patches to get up to date.

Good luck,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:55 PM
  • No actually I get an alert for each sensor, I just didn't post them all.  Every one the range is from 0min-0max. 

Would a possible rollback of HPMSS to an earlier version and reloading 1.3 R1 as a possible fix The HP site specifies this software deals with sensor errors.

As a side not the hardware status in the WHS console is correct and updates in real time for all sensors!  Obviously this is subsystem is not affected.

Thanks again.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:12 PM
  • I'm not sure that would have changed between updates. 
    --
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 12:12 AM