Additional resolutions for remote desktop - RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to get the remote desktop client in WHS to offer additional resolutions?  1280 x 1024 would be ideal for me, but that one isn't offered.
    Thanks much -
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:21 PM

Answers

• I'm not clear exactly how you're using Remote Desktop, Scott. If you're using it to access your server, then the resolutions that are available are dependent on A) the video drivers on your server, and B) the Remote Desktop client (which could conceivably balk at a really strange aspect ratio, though I've never seen it do so).

I use 1280x1024 to access my server all the time, so it's not a Windows Home Server issue, it's environmental.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Aha. (I'm saying that a lot... Ken's "Word of the day"?)

No, or at least I don't believe so. That's an ActiveX control, not the full-featured Remote Desktop client. I would love it if someone else wndered by and proved me wrong, though. :)

Friday, July 17, 2009 4:32 PM

All replies

• I'm not clear exactly how you're using Remote Desktop, Scott. If you're using it to access your server, then the resolutions that are available are dependent on A) the video drivers on your server, and B) the Remote Desktop client (which could conceivably balk at a really strange aspect ratio, though I've never seen it do so).

I use 1280x1024 to access my server all the time, so it's not a Windows Home Server issue, it's environmental.

Friday, July 17, 2009 3:56 PM
  • I should have been more clearn - what I meant was, is there a way to get the ActiveX RDP client that is exposed externally (like at blah.homeserver.com) to offer additional resolutions?  That brings up a a little ajax dialog with less flexibility than the standard remote desktop experience.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Aha. (I'm saying that a lot... Ken's "Word of the day"?)

No, or at least I don't believe so. That's an ActiveX control, not the full-featured Remote Desktop client. I would love it if someone else wndered by and proved me wrong, though. :)

Friday, July 17, 2009 4:32 PM