Live Mesh failed to start...used to work just fine RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using Live Mesh for many months now.  I have 3 computers setup to synchronize some folders and this was working fine.  I like the product a lot.  I've used up my 5GB storage, and nobody can tell me how I can get more, I'm willing to pay $$$.

Anyways, I noticed this morning that after my computer applied some mandatory Microsoft updates, that Live Mesh no longer works.  In fact, it doesn't start.  It comes up and says that it failed to start and says click here to restart but it always fails.  I've tried to right click on the icon and check for updates but it says that it is up to date. 

My comptuer is a ThinkPad X61 tablet with 2GB of RAM running WIndows Vista Business with SP2.  I don't know how to send any logs since I can't even get Live Mesh to work anymore.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:21 PM

Answers

• More than likely you've both hit a known bug with Passport that Mesh exposed.  Due to the way Mesh uses Passport login in ways that haven't been before, there is a problem with it on rare occurances that cause Passport to incorrectly update it's system with regards to your registered computers for Mesh. 

Unfortunately the only fix for this is to uninstall Mesh from that computer and reinstall it back again. 

When you do, you'll just have to select your folders you were sync'ing before to sync again, Mesh will just do a hash compair and only update if it needs to and resume normal sync again.

-Ken
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:41 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 2:41 AM

All replies

• I assume that you've rebooted the PC to see if the problem goes away on a restart.
    There are a few reasons that people have encountered with the "failed to start" issue, but usually this happens immediately after an install and means something went wrong with the installation.
    If a reboot doesn't resolve it, I would uninstall and reinstall Live Mesh. You will probably need to reconfigure the sync settings for the folders when offered to the reinstall.
    Another option would be to perform a System Restore to yesterday (before the updates that appear to be related to the problem) and seeing if Live Mesh works. If so, go to Windows Update and select only 1 of the offered updates at a time. After each is installed, reboot and see if Live Mesh works. When one is installed and it fails to work, you may have identified the culprit. Uninstall that update and see if Live Mesh works again. If so, please post details here.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Oh, and there is no option to purchase more space on the Live Desktop, so after the max is used (currently 5 gigs) you can still sync more via peer to peer.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Experiencing exactly the same problem. Live Mesh was working for 1+ years, but it "Failed to start" today... Nothing helps.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 11:43 PM
  • Experiencing exactly the same problem. Live Mesh was working for 1+ years, but it "Failed to start" today... Nothing helps.

What have you tried to resolve the error?
    -steve
    Monday, December 21, 2009 1:17 PM
  • More than likely you've both hit a known bug with Passport that Mesh exposed.  Due to the way Mesh uses Passport login in ways that haven't been before, there is a problem with it on rare occurances that cause Passport to incorrectly update it's system with regards to your registered computers for Mesh. 

Unfortunately the only fix for this is to uninstall Mesh from that computer and reinstall it back again. 

When you do, you'll just have to select your folders you were sync'ing before to sync again, Mesh will just do a hash compair and only update if it needs to and resume normal sync again.

-Ken
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:41 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 2:41 AM
  • Yes, uninstallation, AppData cleaning and new installation solved the problem (long time ago). Reinstallation from command line did not.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:42 AM
  • Live Mesh just stopped working for me too ("failed to start" message), but only on one computer. I have spent a couple of hours following all the suggestions of uninstalling/reinstalling, restarting and trying again, but have had no end of problems. It said an installation was already underway so I couldn't reinstall, and it said my network connectivity was an issue, but my internet is working fine. It basically won't reinstall now, and when I log into my mesh on the web, it appears to be empty! If it is an ID problem, I don't understand why the same ID works fine on my other computer. I'm afraid I've messed it up even worse now but I really miss it already because I use it alot and don't want to lose it.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:55 AM
  • This is the error message I get when I try to sign into Live Mesh from Internet Explorer: Webpage error details User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; Media Center PC 3.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705) Timestamp: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 04:57:15 UTC Message: Class not registered Line: 588 Char: 612 Code: 0 URI: https://www.mesh.com/0.9.4014.21/Microsoft.LiveFramework.js
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:59 AM
  • allyndayis:
    If your LiveID works for Live Mesh in the client and the Live Desktop on another PC, but not this one, it sounds like a local issue on the PC. From your first post, I'd say that a removal of Live Mesh bits manually may be in order. Your second post is a whole other issue since that is a javascript error.
    -steve

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:17 PM
  • I have the 'failed to start' problem too after 6 months of use. Its still working on other PC's in my mesh but my netbook refused to sync. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and then starting getting failed to start. I've tried the command line repair, uninstall and reinstaall but no joy. I've also tried manually removing the registry keys but they appeared to be missing after uninstalling..  but still no joy, i cannot get it to run on this PC any more. Its a real shame because I have found this to be an excellent service Any advice would be greatfully received!
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:55 PM
  • ok, pretty sure that I've tracked down the source of my problem. I changed the wireless encryption on my (Belkin) router from TKIP to AES. This coincieded with my Live Mesh problems. I've just  changed it back to TKIP and, hey presto, I'm back up and running again. I'm really surprised that this is the problem but my friend has had exactly the same problem with AES preventing SyncToy from working correctly. I'd rather use AES so I'll do some further testing but if anyone has any ideas why this should make a difference then all ideas greatfully received!
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 11:48 PM
  • Thanks for sharing your experience, laxytx.
    -steve

Monday, January 18, 2010 1:51 PM