Reconnect already register computer RRS feed

• Question

• I already have a computer added to my homeserver, but I need to retore my laptop like the software i came from the provider.

But after restore my laptop, the homserver didn´t recognice the same name of my laptop and propose me to added.

I don´t like to added becaase the old backups are associted to my laptop. How can I do that que homerserver recognize thta this is the same computer?

Thanks in advance,

Fabio Uribe

Friday, July 23, 2010 12:54 AM

All replies

• I already have a computer added to my homeserver, but I need to retore my laptop like the software i came from the provider.

But after restore my laptop, the homserver didn´t recognice the same name of my laptop and propose me to added.

I don´t like to added becaase the old backups are associted to my laptop. How can I do that que homerserver recognize thta this is the same computer?

Thanks in advance,

Fabio Uribe 

You need to restore from a backup on the server in order for WHS to see it as the same computer.  The computer name doesn't matter.  The identifier is a GUID, which is different when you connect the same computer that has been restored from the recovery media provided by the OEM manufacturer.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 3:42 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, but I cannot restore from the backup because it is damaged and when I restored from it windows vista freezed.

There is another way to do that? without restore the backup?

Thanks.

Monday, July 26, 2010 12:33 PM
  • If your laptop isn't recognized as the same machine during connector installation, Windows Home Server won't let you reconnect it with it's old backups. But it shouldn't matter, given that your old backups are, as you indicate, corrupted somehow.

Have you tried using the repair option in the Windows Home Server console to repair the backup database?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 26, 2010 12:37 PM
  • No, I haven´t tried the WHS console repair.

Really, the backup is OK with the data, but not in the O.S. files, for some reason I can read all my data in another computers, but when I tried to restore my laptop the Windows vista freezed. That was I retore from the OEM manufacture and I tried to read my data from the backup.

There is wome way to set the GUID?. I read that this is a large number to identify the names in windows.

Monday, July 26, 2010 6:44 PM
  • No, I haven´t tried the WHS console repair.

Really, the backup is OK with the data, but not in the O.S. files, for some reason I can read all my data in another computers, but when I tried to restore my laptop the Windows vista freezed. That was I retore from the OEM manufacture and I tried to read my data from the backup. 

In that case, restore just the data from your WHS backup to your "new client install".  You can restore data to any client (not just the backup source).  If you can't read even the data from your backups, then you should definitely do as Ken said (repair the backup database).

There is wome way to set the GUID?. I read that this is a large number to identify the names in windows.

There is no supported way to do that.  You could try hacking around in the registry, but I would strongly advise against that.

Monday, July 26, 2010 7:57 PM
  • Which version number does your WHS console report, btw.? One of the errors causing this behavior has been fixed in an later update (Power Pack 3 I think). But this is only valid for newer backups created after that update installation.

In a similar situation I could still boot with several error messages and perform an "upgrade" installation from the Vista DVD. Not sure, if this would work also in safe mode. But if you can boot in save mode, you can try to remove things from startup using msconfig and change the drivers (I would mainly try for the video adapter first).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, July 26, 2010 9:23 PM