Home Server VGA Drivers for ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO RRS feed

• Question

• I've built a new SATA based WHS to replace my EIDE system and have gotten everything running nicely.  The only problem I have is I cannot use the motherboard install disc to install the drivers for the on-board video (which is an ATi Radeon 4200 GPU).  Right now my system is using a generic Windows VGA driver (and shows the obligatory yellow question mark in Device Manager).  It seems to be working fine but I'd like to get a driver more appropriate for the video.

When I try to install the XP or any other drivers from the MB disc, I get an error that says my file name and directory have too many charachters in it and that I need to shorten one or both.  I don't know how to do that but figured someone out there might know how to fix this or has a driver that will work/install.

Saturday, November 6, 2010 11:08 PM

All replies

• Since your server is designed for headless use, do you actually need the video driver for anything? The standard VGA driver won't, in general, cause any problems. And if you really want to install a driver anyway, you could always download one from the motherboard manufacturer's web site...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by vmi1981 Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by vmi1981 Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:18 PM
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 2:43 AM
  • Thanks Ken, 

Yeah, I know I don't really need one.  But it's kind of like building something.  Everyone thinks it's nice, but you know where the flaws are.

As for downloading the driver from the MB site, that's what I did (and it gave me the error message I mentioned).

• Marked as answer by vmi1981 Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by vmi1981 Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:18 PM
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 3:50 AM
  • The best option would be to download the actual driver for that video spec which would be the ATI/AMD provider. The motherboard manufacturers typically just have the original version of the driver when that motherboard was manufactured and hardly ever if not never update from that. Always go out to the main manufacturer that designed that particular section whether it be the video, sound, modem, or lan section of the motherboard. with ATI being a product of AMD now that would probably be a good starting point. Know how you feel regarding "Everyone thinks it's nice, but you know where the flaws are.".

For that particular on board video section below is the Google link.

http://www.google.com/search?q=driver+ATi+Radeon+4200+GPU&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

jd

Monday, November 8, 2010 3:50 AM