Cannot activate or validate RRS feed

• Question

• So, I've got a.. strange problem I'd call it.  Right now i'm doing this through reduced functionality, which sucks btw.  But here's why.  I recently updated my motherboard, windows asked to be reactivated it, so I tried to activate, but said I couldn't because the key was already in use.  So I contacted microsoft, and the person took over my computer, and reactivated it, and all was well.  Now, i didn't notice it right away, but after a day or 2, i noticed on my desktop, the words saying this copy of windows is not genuine.  I didn't do anything about it right away.  And now I restarted my computer, and it says I must activate windows again.  So I've come to the point where I can't for some reason.  If i try to activate online, i get an invalid key error.  If i try to retype the key, i get an invalid key error.  If i try to do it via phone, i'm not given the installation id i'm supposed to provide.  I found the website where I can validate windows, and i get a message right after saying it is unable to determine if this copy of windows is genuine.  After all this, i even put my vista disc into the computer and booted off of that, it loaded some files, then loaded a windows screen, but nothing else happened, i just sat there staring at a background image for a while before i got impatient, and restarted my computer again, so now here I am. I have no idea what else to do, any ideas? anyone?
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 8:21 AM

Answers

• I can't remember off the top of my head, I may have fixed it all though.  the problem got even more complex and i was getting license issues and new error codes of all sorts.  Eventually i just restored my computer to before i upgraded the motherboard, reactivated windows via phone activation, validated online, and so far we're good to go, i'll know in a couple days if anything has been solved permanently.  I got on the phone with a level 2 tech from microsoft and he suggested i take the steps i'd already taken, apparently i should've done a keyless install after upgrading and i'd have none of these problems. but if anything changes, i'll let ya know.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 11:35 PM
  • I just wanted to add to this thread that I've contacted you by e-mail.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:17 PM

All replies

• Sorry, i gues I'll add, this is Vista Home premium, i have the upgrade disc available to use.. and.. I can't think of anything else you might need to know..
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 8:23 AM
  • Except for this..

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Detailed Status: 0xc004f012
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-HJGX3-VGBTK-RMQQG
    Windows Product Key Hash: tyhW5XVGRhOarzPqiWJSIa9lQvE=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-015-2839661-71510
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.000
    ID: 39ea4954-5023-493e-b489-8a20c80d049a
    Is Admin: No
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 102
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-138-80041010_025D1FF3-324-80040154_025D1FF3-269-80040154_025D1FF3-273-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>39ea4954-5023-493e-b489-8a20c80d049a</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.000</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RMQQG</PKey><PID>89578-015-2839661-71510</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2976792364-3477426834-987145302</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>stem manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1702   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070109000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>15303507018400FC</HWID><UserLCID>1009</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>102</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-0012-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>911CC0B2BD9225E</Val><Hash>17A+e/wrV0/TMU8KucMF2mYZjKY=</Hash><Pid>81607-303-8368037-64656</Pid><PidType>10</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, March 18, 2007 8:24 AM
  • Thanks so much for posting your diagnostics info.  Can you tell me what error codes you're seeing and the exact error messages?  Are you getting error code 0xC004C003?  Would you also tell me the time frame in which you updated your motherboard and phone activated?  Did you phone activate after updating the mb?
    Monday, March 19, 2007 8:55 PM
  • I can't remember off the top of my head, I may have fixed it all though.  the problem got even more complex and i was getting license issues and new error codes of all sorts.  Eventually i just restored my computer to before i upgraded the motherboard, reactivated windows via phone activation, validated online, and so far we're good to go, i'll know in a couple days if anything has been solved permanently.  I got on the phone with a level 2 tech from microsoft and he suggested i take the steps i'd already taken, apparently i should've done a keyless install after upgrading and i'd have none of these problems. but if anything changes, i'll let ya know.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 11:35 PM
  • So i'd like to update this posting.  The problem is still very much here and starting to really frustrate me because it just happens out of nowhere.  Here's another go-over of the problem.

Windows has just randomly decided to deactivate, bringing up the window when i logon that only lets me activate it by reentering the key, or activating online, or over the phone or anything like that.  The problem is, none of it works.  Online activation turns into an invalid key error code usually.  entering the key again, even with a new product key that they offered me, didn't work.  I used to fix this by doing a phone activation, but now for some reason.. again..  windows refuses to provide me with an installation ID, so i can't do it through the phone.  About the only thing I haven't tried is a 100% clean install.  But i have completely reinstalled windows from the disc, just writing over everything, and it did fix the problem for a while, but this is the 2nd time its deactivated itself since then, and this time i dont' even have an installation ID to fix the problem.  So again, i'm completely out of ideas, please, anyone know of any solutions that doesn't require a clean install?

Monday, June 4, 2007 3:56 AM
  • Could the problem be what's described in this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1170769&SiteID=25  ?

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 1:24 AM
  • I suppose it's possible, but I don't know nearly enough about RAID systems to know if it could potentially be the source of my problem.  I just have the one internal hard drive, if that makes a difference or not, SATA.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2007 4:47 AM
  • Please open a free service request by visiting: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860 and post your confirmation number here.  I'll contact you directly so we can figure out the cause of your issue.  If you're not in the US, please also post the name of the support agent who contacts you by e-mail once you've made the free service request.  Thank you!

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 11:05 PM
  • Confirmation number: 1036850768

and i'm in Canada, i'll post the support agent when i'm contacted.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 6:10 AM
  • I was able to get to your case without having to go through a support agent.  Thanks!
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 9:37 PM
  • So i think i've messed things up even worse than they already were now., and microsoft is starting to getting on my nerves.

The problem keeps happening every few restarts or so, windows deactivates itself, and i just put in my confirmation ID, the problem goes away until i restart again.  But i was getting sick of this, so once again, i reinstalled windows, not only for this, but to clean all the gunk out of my computer.  So here's the new problem, here's the details.  I did a keyless clean install from an upgrade disc.  I know when i upgraded from windows xp, it was a clean install, so i figured i could do it again.  it would make sense that you could do a clean install of the same operating system.  but apparently not.? first off, since it was a keyless install, i did not enter the product key when i installed, as you have the option to do so later, after you've installed and gotten up and running.  so windows tells me i have 30 days to activate.  i decide to put my key in right there anyways, and when i try to do it online, i get an error saying that this key is not valid for a clean install, only an upgrade install, so there goes ever cleaning  up your computer again..  so i said, fine, i'll just talk to some tech support guys in the morning or somethin.  i continue installing and updating windows and what not, and after i install my drivers, and restart my computer, guess what? same problem... again, windows is now asking me to activate, and i can only use windows through reduced functionality mode.  so i figure i'll call and activate over the phone, but the automated system doesn't work for me key, and the MS rep tells me i have to go back to the place i bought the software like.. 5 months ago, to get a new key..? so what the hell? how does this make any sense?  i can almost understand the clean install key as being a straight up version of home premium versus the upgrade version, but even with the upgrade version, wouldn't it make sense to be able to have your harddrive wiped and have windows reinstalled without buy the standalone version?  this is getting frustrating, please, somebody, anybody, shed some light on what i can do? i'm still gonna call and rip some MS tech support guy a new one, because i'm starting to get angry that nobody can solve this or even offer a free key to fix this or anything, but any other input would be appreciated, thx

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 5:51 AM
  • sorry, gotta add this as well, after having windows the way it was there, i decided to do another clean install, this time putting the product key in, and all seemed ok, except for one thing i think i've noticed before, i generally seem to lose activation after windows does some updates, i'm not sure why that is, because windows updated, i restarted, and the activation screen came up again, but at least this time, i clicked activate online now, and it worked... so i have no idea, i'm starting to lean towards a hardware problem causing me to lose activation, because for this problem to persist through 1 repair install and 2 clean installs? seems kinda wonky to me..
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 7:51 AM
  • I just wanted to add to this thread that I've contacted you by e-mail.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:17 PM