Windows Vista to Windows XP downgrade problem. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I recently bought a Gateway Laptop model # MT6705 with Windows Vista installed on it. I want to downgrade to Windows XP and I have an original XP CD, not a burned or previously used one. When I tried to do a clean install of XP, it told me that the drivers were not found. After speaking to a few computer techs that I know, I found out that I needed to download the Windows XP SATA/Mass Storage Controller version: Intel 6.2.0.2002. I've searched everywhere and the only ones I can find are for Windows Vista. After trying to install in many different ways, another tech told me to try the Vista ones and that maybe the laptop would pick them up. I tried that and it still didn't work. Then I gave in and took my laptop yesterday to a computer repair place that I know. After a few hours of them trying everything, they told me that Gateway doesn't make drivers for XP anymore, because now they only work with Vista, so that it will be impossible to install XP. I can't believe though, that there is NO POSSIBLE way of doing this. Does anyone know where I can find that XP driver that I need or if there is any other compatible drivers that I can use? Thanks.

Please note that my laptop has no floppy drive. It has a DVD/CD drive and USB ports.

Sunday, April 22, 2007 10:41 PM

Answers

• Hello,

This forum is dedicated to Windows Genuine Advantage validation questions.  

General questions and discussion can be posted to the Public Windows Vista newsgroups:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:09 AM
  • Because this forum is dedicated to validation issues, you’ll need to contact outside support for the expertise necessary to troubleshoot your non-validation related issue.  You can do so by posting or searching in the Vista pubic newsgroups, found here: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx or by following this link to Product Support Services.  Microsoft has a 90 day free support period that starts on the day you first acquire Vista. 

If you bought your computer pre-installed with Vista either from a computer store or an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) like Dell or Gateway, you’ll need to contact them for support.  Thanks!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:28 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This forum is dedicated to Windows Genuine Advantage validation questions.  

General questions and discussion can be posted to the Public Windows Vista newsgroups:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:09 AM
  • use nlite to install the sata stuff into it. I already got xp installed. Infact I'm writing from within xp in the same laptop model as you.. the only problem is finding the proper video , audio and pci drivers... if you have any questions about how to do it let me know...

gatewayhelp@trashmail.net
    I know it says trashmail.net , but i made this account as a proxy to my real e-mail account. I don't want spammers coming after me.

p.s.
    I'm not gateway tech support or anything. I'm just another person like  your trying to install xp. If u find the correct drivers for this stuff let me know.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:06 AM
  • I have the same gateway notebook, and crazy trying to downgrade to XP.

I have a USB floppy drive, How did you installed XP from DOS? It is supposed a floppy with the SATA drivers is needed?

I tried the following:

I downloaded and installed a utility called mydrivers(mydrivers.exe), it collects all the drivers and stores in a folder, but is hard to know which ones or how

many drivers are for the SATA, even if you know, they are for VISTA since mydrivers.exe was executed in a Vista  session Sad

After that, i store some files in a floppy wishing to have succes providing after the F6 stuff the drivers, but same old song, "no hard drive or Mass stuff was found, press F3 to  exit bla bla bla"

I will really apreciate your help, I heve spent a lot of time and energy trying to install XP on this gateway MT6705

Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:14 PM
  • Hi MrBrightSidez , i have sent you an email in order to contact you sooner, but i got a delivery failure notice, is the gatewayhelp@trashmail.net address working?

Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:30 PM
  • Here are the files you need to start the install! download from link and un zip to a floppy press f6 at install and away you go!

http://www.newnanpc.com/software/sata/sata.zip

Good Luck!

Saturday, June 9, 2007 9:36 PM
  • Hi,

I'm downgrading a Gatway MT6705 from Vista to XP. I have installed XP but can't access the internet. Do you know

where can I find an XP network card driver for the MT6705? Also what other drivers do I need to install?

Thanks very much

Monday, June 18, 2007 11:05 AM
  • The network card is a Marvell Yukon 88E8038 and drivers can be found at http://www.marvell.com
    Monday, June 18, 2007 3:15 PM
  • hi,

I do NOT have a floppy drive installed on my Gateway MT6705.

Can I store the (SATA files) on my portable usb flash drive use it that way? Will XP setup recognize it on a USB flash drive plugged in?

thanks,

PatG 

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 7:08 PM
  • Because this forum is dedicated to validation issues, you’ll need to contact outside support for the expertise necessary to troubleshoot your non-validation related issue.  You can do so by posting or searching in the Vista pubic newsgroups, found here: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx or by following this link to Product Support Services.  Microsoft has a 90 day free support period that starts on the day you first acquire Vista. 

If you bought your computer pre-installed with Vista either from a computer store or an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) like Dell or Gateway, you’ll need to contact them for support.  Thanks!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:28 PM
  • USB thumb drive will NOT work, You will need a USB floppy drive.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:02 AM
  • Hello, I am retrofitting a Gateway MT6705 Notebook for a customer of mine and am having issues. Here's what I've done according to your post for SATA Drivers. I downloaded the file you posted and attempted to load the driver after pressing f6, I selected the only mobile choice for AHCI Controller... it recognized the hard drive as one would expect: However, when I hit continue to finish the rest of the XP setup, I received the following prompt:

Insert the disk labeled:  Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver into drive A:

Press ENTER when ready...

I pressed enter, nothing happened, and I've looked for the driver noted and cannot locate it let alone insert the disk marked as such.

Suggestions?? I am at a loss at this point. THanks very much.

Jerry

Saturday, June 30, 2007 11:21 PM
  • I have a full driver package for the MT6705 laptop.  feel free to email me for the link  Shaggywhite7424@gmail.com    with this package, you DO NOT need a floppy drive for the SATA drivers
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:40 AM
  •  

As I've posted many times... anyone who wants the driver package and SATA slipstreaming instructions (no floppy needed), please feel free to email me at shaggywhite7424@gmail.com I'll email you the download link   and for the last time... THIS IS FOR THE MT6705 ONLY!!!!!!!  any other laptop model owners please don't email me, as I'll just call you a moron and laugh at you.

As far as I know, I'm the only person with the full driver package.  took me 3 weeks of hard searching and testing

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 4:21 PM
  • Hello,

I am also trying to downgrade from Vista to XP and tried all the things you mentioned.  Have you been successful yet?  Please let me know and send me drivers or direct  me to where I can find t he drivers please.

Thanks you.

aneckg@yahoo.com

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:26 PM
  • Can someone please send me the drivers to direct me to where I can find them PLEASE.....

THX

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:35 PM
  • Hello,

Can you PLEASE send me the info and drivers to aneckg@yahoo.com.

Thanks much!!!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:36 PM
  • Contact shaggywhite7424@gmail.com He has the drivers your looking for. I got fed up, had my client take the unit back to the place she purchased and trade it in for a Toshiba Laptop with Vista Basic on it.... The Toshiba has only one SATA device (the hard drive). The gateway MT6705 has 2 devices, the hard drive and the dvd+rw. So in light of that, I do not have the drivers. You will however need to contact MS to get the hotfix patch (888111) for the Hi Def audio. They email it to you and passwords to unzip the file. The passwords tombstone after I believe 7 days, not sure don't remember, but I'm sure shaggywhite has all of that as well. Sorry it took so long to get back with you, and certainely, good luck.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 2:35 AM
  • ok, first and formost... if you want the drivers for the MT6705, to use with XP... DON'T LOOK ON GATEWAY'S SUPPORT PAGE. The drivers are for vista only no matter what you hear. Ignoring this will only be a waste of your time.
    Now, down to business. I have detailed instructions for downgrading to XP, along with SATA drivers. I also have the XP drivers for the MT6705. it took a lot of time and agrivation, but I found them. Be sure to pay attention to the slipstreaming process for the XP downgrade. After installing all the drivers, you will still have some random modem on HD audio bus warning, but the sound will work just fine. so you can pursue that driver if you want, but I simply don't care enough to look any further. So here is the link for the downgrade/driver package

http://files-upload.com/369230/MT6705drivers.zip.html

This is a great feeling of accomplishment.  I feel mega nerdy in a good way.(I'm usually the one who's looking and never helps anyone out)
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 3:46 AM
  • Thank you very much for allowing a download of the pack !!  you are the best !!!  very much appreciated !!

Doron

Gainesville,FL

Sunday, August 5, 2007 10:27 PM
  •  darkangelwingz wrote:

Hello I recently bought a Gateway Laptop model # MT6705 with Windows Vista installed on it. I want to downgrade to Windows XP and I have an original XP CD, not a burned or previously used one. When I tried to do a clean install of XP, it told me that the drivers were not found. After speaking to a few computer techs that I know, I found out that I needed to download the Windows XP SATA/Mass Storage Controller version: Intel 6.2.0.2002. I've searched everywhere and the only ones I can find are for Windows Vista. After trying to install in many different ways, another tech told me to try the Vista ones and that maybe the laptop would pick them up. I tried that and it still didn't work. Then I gave in and took my laptop yesterday to a computer repair place that I know. After a few hours of them trying everything, they told me that Gateway doesn't make drivers for XP anymore, because now they only work with Vista, so that it will be impossible to install XP. I can't believe though, that there is NO POSSIBLE way of doing this. Does anyone know where I can find that XP driver that I need or if there is any other compatible drivers that I can use? Thanks.

Please note that my laptop has no floppy drive. It has a DVD/CD drive and USB ports.

Monday, September 17, 2007 1:27 AM
  •  darkangelwingz wrote:

Hello I recently bought a Gateway Laptop model # MT6705 with Windows Vista installed on it. I want to downgrade to Windows XP and I have an original XP CD, not a burned or previously used one. When I tried to do a clean install of XP, it told me that the drivers were not found. After speaking to a few computer techs that I know, I found out that I needed to download the Windows XP SATA/Mass Storage Controller version: Intel 6.2.0.2002. I've searched everywhere and the only ones I can find are for Windows Vista. After trying to install in many different ways, another tech told me to try the Vista ones and that maybe the laptop would pick them up. I tried that and it still didn't work. Then I gave in and took my laptop yesterday to a computer repair place that I know. After a few hours of them trying everything, they told me that Gateway doesn't make drivers for XP anymore, because now they only work with Vista, so that it will be impossible to install XP. I can't believe though, that there is NO POSSIBLE way of doing this. Does anyone know where I can find that XP driver that I need or if there is any other compatible drivers that I can use? Thanks.

Monday, September 17, 2007 1:27 AM
  •  

I am in the same situation as the person above.  I bought a PC (HP) in May that has Windows Vista.  So far I have had to replace my scanner, my printer, and get special disks to be able to use them.  I am unable to use any of the programs I had on the previous computer.  Some of these are very important to me, such as my geneology ones.  Vista lets me pull it up and print the basics, but will not let me go beyond that where my extensive information is kept.  It will not accept the Digital camera program I had before, so that is useless to me now and in doing so I have no way of transferring pictures from the scanner to the program..........and this goes on, & on.   I truly would like to downgrade to a Windows XP, but do not know how I can?  I would really appreciate you help with this, otherwise I will continue to hate Windows Vista and find my computer of no value to me.

Thank you,

Thursday, November 1, 2007 6:27 PM
  • First off, you may want to contact all of your program vendors' Tech Support to see if they have updates for the specific programs that need to be compatible with Vista. Vista was released in January, and any of the companies that you purchased software from may have upgrades to accomodate Vista. The only other suggestion that I have is go to eBay, purchase an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Copy of XP Home or Pro with service pack 2 (you can get them from between $90.00 - $140.00 depending on the version.) make sure you have all of your data backed up. I would assume that you have your data backed up from when you had an XP machine. If you have Vista Home and all of your data is on Vista your kind of screwed unless a MS tech can enlighten me, there isn't a way to back up your files unless you copy them to a thumb drive or upgrade to Vista Premium. There is still no guarantee that those files will back up on an XP machine. If you have a lot of data in Word 2007, make sure you back up all of your files in the Office 97 - 2003 compatibility mode in Office 2007. The docs will be saved as ".doc" instead of the 2007 version ".docx" 2007 documents and preadsheets, anything connected to 2007 will convert to the older file extensions. As far as the geneology program, contact the manufacturer. Getting back to the XP-Retrofit... You'll have to install XP over the vista operating system, this is a long and painful process as well...ask anyone in this post string... You'll need to pay particular attention to your hardware. Now if you have an HP C500 laptop (or any "c" series made about the same time) You will run into a couple of things during install of XP... The 1st is that it may not recognize the SATA hard drive if there are more than 1 device on the SATA controller. (by device, I mean a CD-RW drive or a secondary hard drive, laptops don't have 2 hard drives, but most do have CD-RW's) The model that I mention only has 1 device on the controller which will simplify the process greatly. You should be able to proceed with intallation normally once it recognizes the drive. HOWEVER; You will need to Delete all the partitions once you arrive at the process to determine where to install XP. Reason Why... You don't want 2 operating systems on your computer. And, it wipes out the Vista header files (someone chime in if I'm not accurate on the desription please)... Regardless, deleting the partitions will provide for a "clean" install of XP on your system. The 2nd Item is other device drivers. Notibly, you WILL need to download a patch from microsoft that fixes the Hi Def drivers designed for Vista so they will work with XP. You will need to call them and ask for them to email you the Hi Def UAA patch. They will know what yuou are talking about. This patch deals with the soundcard and the hi def screen drivers. You won't have sound to start with, but you'll be able to work. You will be annoyed by the periodic beeping that you computer will make if you tab too far on something while working. Get the patch, it will save you aggrevation in the long run.  Other than that, XP should recognize the remaining drivers and you should sail throught the rest of setup. After you've setup XP on your system, you'll need to get all of the updates for service pack 2. I am not a big fan of internet explorer 7, but that is your call. Get e decent anti-virus suite... www.avast.com They are pricey, but it's a good suite. If you want to go cheap and free go to www.grisoft.com Type AVG Free Edition in the search tool. That is for basic anti-virus., another freeware you should have is Spybot.. www.spybot.net the guy takes donations, but it's pretty good for freeware.You'll also need the latest Java, Adobe Reader and Flash player because most of your fairly large websites (eBay, etc...) use the latest java & flash for there active content. I suggest that you get XP Pro because it has abuilt-in backup program the the home edition does not. At least to my knowledge.after all the updates and add-ins, I would do a full backup of the computers initialstate to an external hard drive.... "WD Mybook" comes to mind. I think their most current version that Walmart sells is 320GB fo about $100.00., Once you have a full back up of just your operating system, anti-virus, anti-spyware, and add-ins, go ahead and install all of your other software. You can configure backup copies of all of the important files to a thumb drive, or the external hard drive. That should do it. It's a lot of stuff to do and a pain, but you may be happier with your computer when it's all said and done. Anyone else is certainely welcomed to add to this post, I am fairly certain I covered it all as far as I see it.

Saturday, November 3, 2007 3:24 AM
  • hi,.. a have same problem, but with diferent laptop. its Fujitsu Siemens Pi2515. Manufacturer is not provided any win XP drivers for sata. i have tried drivers from intel which are supporting my intel 945 chipset, but its same song,... not any drives..... bla bla bla

i have usb floppy drive and win xp instalation is properly reading drivers from this drive by instalation.

thank you for your help
    Monday, November 12, 2007 10:52 AM
  •  

i recently bought a laptop i.e. DELL INSPIRON 6400.  windows vista is already installed in it in chinees ,due to which i can't use it . i want to install windows xp in it .can u plz tell me what to do??
    Sunday, November 18, 2007 10:11 AM
  • You sir are awesome.  I looked everywhere for these files.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:20 PM
  • I finally got my VISTA to XP working perfectly on my mt6705 gateway duo core laptop.  Here are all the right drivers you will need.   This I collected after 2 hours of useless phone calls to Gateway Tech Support, and 2 days of trial and error, enjoy - www.dotnetfranco.com/mt6705, each driver is in its own folder.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 5:31 PM
  • Yes,

I need the instructions too

I got a laptop and it has this horrible Vista on it...MT6705... I want to put XP pro
    but everytime I go to insert the CD

I get it can't find the hard drive......

I was looking for an ISO disk image I could just boot it.it doesn't have a floppy drive

and I do need all the windows XP drivers too....

Thanks
    John
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:37 PM
  • I realize that you've been trying to keep this forum dedicated to "validation issues" but since you are Microsoft you may want to note that no one cares.  All we want is to get away from Vista that promised so much and only delivered a major headache.  Office 2007, don't even get me started.  This is a forum.  A forum where your customers are telling you that we are UNHAPPY with your product.  So find someone who realizes the importance of customer service, and call Bill Gates.  Tell him to make it easy to downgrade.  Now.  If you, as a company, put out a product that is disappointing to your customers, you should make it better as quickly as possible.  Then we will be quiet and go away.  But by giving us the run around and basically shoving Vista down our throats, saying that if the BRAND NEW computer I bought didn't have XP before, I can't have it now, well, then we'll be UNHAPPY customers with a voice.  A voice that begs for a group lawsuit.  We will continue to be your loyal customers if you would only give us the respect of correcting your mistakes (Vista and Office 2007).  You're not losing any money.  We all paid through the nose for these *** *** programs.  so why don't you take a hint from this forum, and instead of asking us to take our discussion elsewhere, why don't you VALIDATE OUR FEELINGS and fix it.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:31 AM
  • Hello Gielie, my laptop is Gateway MT6705, not pi2515. But still-I am willing to help you,the way some good people lelp me. Please, give me full description of your pc and the problem.I shall do my best.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:42 AM
  •  

I've been reading but havent found the information that will help me.

I have a Full copy of Windows Vista Ultimate, 32bit and 64bit. I read that if i have the full copy of Windows Vista Ultimate i can downgrade to Windows XP Pro. Who do i call/who do i talk to to get this Windows XP Pro downgrade? I have a disc for this i just dont have a cd key. How do i get a hold of what i need? Is there a generic key i can use, then call microsoft to get a official key?

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:55 AM
  • Hey guys, this is actually pretty easy to fix.

You have to edit a file named "TXTSETUP.OEM" that is inside the floppy.

and below each driver definition:

[HardwareIds.scsi.iaStor_ICH8RICH9RICH10R]
    id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104","iaStor"

you have to add the following lines:
    #--The following lines give additional USB floppy support
    id = "USB\VID_03F0&PID_2001", "usbstor" #--HP
    id = "USB\VID_054C&PID_002C", "usbstor" #--Sony
    id = "USB\VID_057B&PID_0001", "usbstor" #--Y-E Data
    id = "USB\VID_0409&PID_0040", "usbstor" #--NEC
    id = "USB\VID_0424&PID_0FDC", "usbstor" #--SMSC
    id = "USB\VID_08BD&PID_1100", "usbstor" #--Iomega
    id = "USB\VID_055D&PID_2020", "usbstor" #--Samsung

Save the file and start the installation process. This time it's going to recognize the USB floppy drive.

The full explanation is here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=82711

That way XP will see it when you specify the type of driver, and it goes to load it.

Good luck.  I found this info here

Dave

Saturday, July 12, 2008 5:43 AM