Manually assigned IP to overcome UPnP not working on a Belkin Router RRS feed

• Question

• I THere are several threads on UPnP not workign even wwhen the Microsoft Internet connectiviety tools indicates that it should ...my problem is that if I go into the rounter to do the port forwarding OK but what happens when the router reset and new IP's are assigned the port forwarding is now wrong ......does the manual IP option through the HArdware Options on the control Panel work ?anybody tried this?

thanks

John
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:34 PM

Answers

• It depends on whether your particular router writes the lease values to flash memory, usually once you set the lease time you are prompted to reboot the router from the management webpage. During the router's reboot process these values are typically written to flash memory. Assuming your router keeps its' settings stored this way, the DHCP lease settings should hold.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:05 PM

All replies

• If you go into DHCP services on your router, you should be able to extend the IP lease time to a week. If your port forwarding settings remain intact then the IP lease list should also hang on to the last MAC addresses the IP's were assigned to. Hopefully that will keep your home server from losing its IP address.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:41 PM
  • Didn't realise that the lease time parameter worked if the router was reset or lost power?

THX John

Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:49 PM
  • It depends on whether your particular router writes the lease values to flash memory, usually once you set the lease time you are prompted to reboot the router from the management webpage. During the router's reboot process these values are typically written to flash memory. Assuming your router keeps its' settings stored this way, the DHCP lease settings should hold.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:05 PM
  • Yes agreed I will try that

Thanks
    John
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:27 PM