none
How to get funding for Certification RRS feed

• Question

• Ok guys I need your help. I am 41 and for the last 12 years have done nothing but helpdesk and desktop support. I got let go from my desktop support job due to a knee injury earlier this year. The thing is there aren't really any desktop support jobs around my area (Tulsa OK) any longer. If some pop up they have dropped the rate of pay so badly there is no way I can support my family.

So my only option to stay in this field is to upgrade my skill set which I need to do anyway. I know I need to get my Server 08, Exchange certification and most likely need to learn SQL and add that as well. My problem is, how can I get funding for this. With the economy today I know I can't get a personal loan, and there are no companies funding training around here any longer  (even if I had a job).  If any of you know how I can possibly get training to upgrade my skill set it would be greatly appreciated.  I just dont' know what to do.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:35 PM

Answers

• One alternative to taking formal classes is self-study.  Using both MS Press (or other) books along with CBT training (CBT Nuggets, Trainsignal,TestOut) can be a lower cost alternative.  Another alternative might be to check out community/junior colleges for classes.

As to funding, you can apply for student loans or possibly grants.  Outside of that, the schools themselves might offer student loans, but they're probably at a high interest rate.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 1:35 AM
    Answerer
  • I was in the same boat about 4 years go @ 35.  The way I overcame this was self-study + MAPS subscription.

MAPS is Microsoft Action Pack Subscription. Around 300-400 a year for a mini MSDN subscription (Should come with Exchange, SQL 2008 R2, Server 2008 R2).  About 1/4th the cost of 1 class.  If you can't afford that, then you can use Virtual Machines built by MS if there are LABS for the training.  If that doesn't work you can use 90 day eval versions.

What you need to do is Bing/Google the Certification that you need by Number like "70-513" this should get you to the Microsoft training page.  On that page you will see a base line for it and then click "skills measured".  

What I do is make 2 columns in Excel.

Column 1 - Each Subsection.  Example:

Create service and operation contracts. This objective may include but is not limited to: one-way, duplex, and request reply; creating and specifying  fault contracts; configuration-based contracts; exposing service metadata; selecting serialization (e.g., data contract serializer vs. XML serializer). This objective does not include: designing service and operation contracts; transactions, instantiation, security-related attributes

Column 2 - Links that will help you learn that section.  Example:

http://www.jamesjfoster.com/blog/2010/resource-links-for-70-513-wcf-certification-exam/

I would plan on taking the test twice, its almost as cheap as a transcender however you get the actual test type questions where I've found that transcenders throw in a ton of information that ususally I never see on tests.

Being in a class is nice and all, but I have yet to find a teacher worth 400 a day (usual cost of a days class).  I have found trainers aren't the best developers.    Next see if there is a study guide out there for you already.

Mark Rowe MCTS:Biztalk, MCP http://MicrosoftIntegrationArchitect.com

Monday, November 22, 2010 3:24 PM

All replies

• One alternative to taking formal classes is self-study.  Using both MS Press (or other) books along with CBT training (CBT Nuggets, Trainsignal,TestOut) can be a lower cost alternative.  Another alternative might be to check out community/junior colleges for classes.

As to funding, you can apply for student loans or possibly grants.  Outside of that, the schools themselves might offer student loans, but they're probably at a high interest rate.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 1:35 AM
    Answerer
  • I was in the same boat about 4 years go @ 35.  The way I overcame this was self-study + MAPS subscription.

MAPS is Microsoft Action Pack Subscription. Around 300-400 a year for a mini MSDN subscription (Should come with Exchange, SQL 2008 R2, Server 2008 R2).  About 1/4th the cost of 1 class.  If you can't afford that, then you can use Virtual Machines built by MS if there are LABS for the training.  If that doesn't work you can use 90 day eval versions.

What you need to do is Bing/Google the Certification that you need by Number like "70-513" this should get you to the Microsoft training page.  On that page you will see a base line for it and then click "skills measured".  

What I do is make 2 columns in Excel.

Column 1 - Each Subsection.  Example:

Create service and operation contracts. This objective may include but is not limited to: one-way, duplex, and request reply; creating and specifying  fault contracts; configuration-based contracts; exposing service metadata; selecting serialization (e.g., data contract serializer vs. XML serializer). This objective does not include: designing service and operation contracts; transactions, instantiation, security-related attributes

Column 2 - Links that will help you learn that section.  Example:

http://www.jamesjfoster.com/blog/2010/resource-links-for-70-513-wcf-certification-exam/

I would plan on taking the test twice, its almost as cheap as a transcender however you get the actual test type questions where I've found that transcenders throw in a ton of information that ususally I never see on tests.

Being in a class is nice and all, but I have yet to find a teacher worth 400 a day (usual cost of a days class).  I have found trainers aren't the best developers.    Next see if there is a study guide out there for you already.

Mark Rowe MCTS:Biztalk, MCP http://MicrosoftIntegrationArchitect.com

Monday, November 22, 2010 3:24 PM