Backup Cleanup Settings RRS feed

• Question

• In WHS 2003 I was able to schedule backup cleanups as well as do manual cleanups of particular backups.  I just went to WHS 2011 and an't find any information as to when the auto cleanup will run, nor can I find any way to set when cleanups will take place.  I also can't find any way to manually delete individual backups. I'm also having an unusally great number of failed backups, especially with clients that are connected to the server wirelessly.

Anyone have any suggestions? 

Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:59 AM

Answers

• Thanks...you're right about the cleanup running on Sunday...went on the dashboard this morning and all of the past week's marked backups were deleted. a bit suprised that WHS 2003 backup funcionality, e.g., changing cleanup times, manual cleanups and manual backup deletions, are all no longer available, but this appears to be the case.  Between backup failures and lack of previous funcionality (not to mention errors in other areas and false health alerts), I'm so far a bit disappointed in WHS 2011.

In any event, thanks for the response.

• Marked as answer by bobdb2 Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:54 PM
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:44 PM
  • Phil - Thanks.  This does answer my question with respect to running the cleanup manually. Figured out how to mark backups for deletion but didn't think to look in the task scheduler to run manual cleanup.  Thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by bobdb2 Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:53 PM
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:53 PM

All replies

• As far as I know, the client PC backup cleanup is scheduled to run weekly, on a Sunday. I don't think that you can change this via the dashboard, or run a manual cleanup.

While you also can't manually delete individual backups, you can at least mark them to be deleted the next time Cleanup runs. Choose a backup, and then click "View details"; there you'll get a dropdown menu item that will allow you to mark the backup for deletion.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:27 PM
  • The "Cleanup" task is scheduled to run at 23:59 every Saturday. You can't access this via the Dashboard but if you run Server Manager (via RDC or directly on your Server) you can see the task in Task Scheduler under Microsoft, Windows, Windows Server - you can run the task manually from there. If you mark your failed backups, using the Dashboard, to "Delete this backup when cleanup runs" they should be deleted as required. Note that this is for Client Backups only - you do not have control over Server backups.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:29 PM
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Thanks...you're right about the cleanup running on Sunday...went on the dashboard this morning and all of the past week's marked backups were deleted. a bit suprised that WHS 2003 backup funcionality, e.g., changing cleanup times, manual cleanups and manual backup deletions, are all no longer available, but this appears to be the case.  Between backup failures and lack of previous funcionality (not to mention errors in other areas and false health alerts), I'm so far a bit disappointed in WHS 2011.

In any event, thanks for the response.

• Marked as answer by bobdb2 Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:54 PM
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:44 PM
  • Phil - Thanks.  This does answer my question with respect to running the cleanup manually. Figured out how to mark backups for deletion but didn't think to look in the task scheduler to run manual cleanup.  Thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by bobdb2 Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:53 PM
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:53 PM