Client side download manager that works with WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking for a client side download manager such as GetRight that will work with WHS.  I am currently deployed to Iraq and log into WHS to download recorded TV shows.  The problem is that with the poor internet access here the frequest loss of connectivity results in multiple download attempts to actually get the files.  Everytime the connection is lost the file is downloaded from zero rather than picking up where it left off.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-G
    Monday, April 13, 2009 9:25 PM

Answers

• ... The most efficient way of transferring large files over a poor connection is probably FTP. FileZilla is one free FTP server, ...
    If you're going to install an FTP server, you might as well use the one that IIS includes, since you already have it. But I would recommend rather strongly against it; FTP is by definition an insecure protocol; since it is defined to use unencrypted TELNET as the control channel, user data (names, passwords) are passed in plain text.

And remember that this is unsupported. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:38 PM

All replies

• How are you downloading the files? If it's via the remote access (in the browser) it seems it does not support the download resume features. The most efficient way of transferring large files over a poor connection is probably FTP. FileZilla is one free FTP server, check this guide on how to install on a home server: http://computingondemand.com/?p=961
    HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:22 PM
  • ... The most efficient way of transferring large files over a poor connection is probably FTP. FileZilla is one free FTP server, ...
    If you're going to install an FTP server, you might as well use the one that IIS includes, since you already have it. But I would recommend rather strongly against it; FTP is by definition an insecure protocol; since it is defined to use unencrypted TELNET as the control channel, user data (names, passwords) are passed in plain text.

And remember that this is unsupported. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:38 PM