none
Drone Mapping

Question

• It would be nice if Image Composite Editor had the ability to stitch together photos taken from drone mapping.  When the aircraft maps it takes a series of pictures while moving in a straight line, lets say heading East.  When the drone reaches the end of the field it then turns around and takes the next series of pictures while traveling West.  Image Composite Editor would be great if there were a way to use the serpentine option to flip the X and Y coordinates on the next row.  Even better Image Composite Editor could also use the GPS coordinates in the file.
    • Edited by Tekochip Wednesday, April 19, 2017 4:01 PM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:58 PM

All replies

• I just completed a 300 image mosaic taken with my Phantom 4 from 300 feet. It covers a little more than 40 acres. It only took about 20 minutes to process.
    Friday, August 25, 2017 3:47 PM
  • I too am experimenting using ICE to stitch together photos taken straight down from my Phantom 4 drone.  I have used Drone Deploy to capture the photos and also have tried flying a serpentine pattern freehand and manually taking the photos.  Using the most basic settings in ICE of Simple Panorama and Auto Detect Camera Motion makes acceptable 'maps' but I do not know how accurate the finished image is.  I have made numerous attempts using Structured Panorama and Serpentine at various Column Numbers but never achieved a good result.

What settings have you found that yield the best results for drone mapping?

Friday, June 15, 2018 7:43 PM
  • I've been using ICE to create mosaics of fields and orchards for a couple of weeks.  I have a DJI Phantom 4 Pro and I use a proprietary app similar to Drone Deploy.  A field displayed using Google maps is outlined on my iPhone and I have set the overlap to 80%.  My drone will fly back and forth keeping a constant orientation, i.e. the front or rear always faces the same direction as the drone serpentines back and forth at a constant altitude.  I usually set my altitude for 60 m (200ft) and the speed to 17 mph.  I try to set the DJI camera on a minimum of 400 ISO, constant aperture - f 5.2 and let the DJI camera set the shutter speed.  This usually works, well in our bright sunlight in the SAn Joaquin Valley of California, but recently they must have updated the app and my settings are all over the place.  I have always liked to keep a constant aperture setting for stitching, but I haven't had any problems, just now completing a stitch of  324 jpeg images covering a little over 18 acres (at the speed I'm flying there is no way I could shoot RAW).

One issue I've had is even though I'm flying back and forth at a constant height and parallel swaths, the mosaic image comes out more of a trapezoid than rectangle.  I can correct the perspective in PhotoShop.  I tried stitching tonight in several modes and Planar Motion with Skew seemed to work out the best.  With the 20 megapixel camera, 7 Mp Jpegs and 300+ images, I can zoom down anywhere and clearly see the outline of an 81/2 by 11 sheet of paper, although I can't read anything on it.  The final jpeg mosaic is around 300 megapixels. 

Friday, July 13, 2018 4:05 AM