Accidentally put in wrong ID & can't change it to right one now RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Windows Live Onecare onto my third computer (my labtop), however, when I hit activate and put in my windows live ID and password, I put in the wrong one. Now it tells me that I need to go get a product key since this is already in use (no duh) so when I figured out that I had used the wrong ID I canceled out of everything and opened Onecare again. I now have the option of "subscribe". When I click it, it shows my old ID (and tells me to enter my password) and no matter what I do I can't erase the old ID and put in the right ID. I have tried linking the 2 accounts together, a million different ways to delete, canceling at different stages hoping to null out the info in the read only text field, but to no use. How can I actually get the correct ID into this text field so I can actually activate Onecare for my labtop?

Thanks for any and all help put forth in helping me solve this!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:53 AM

Answers

• Since the ID used becomes embedded in the installation, I think the only resolution would be to uninstall and re-install Windows Live OneCare. I don't believe you'll need to run the 'clean-up' tool as long as you reboot after the uninstall to insure it completes properly.

When you re-install it should ask for activation again, so just be careful that you use the correct one this time.

OneCareBear

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:27 PM

All replies

• Since the ID used becomes embedded in the installation, I think the only resolution would be to uninstall and re-install Windows Live OneCare. I don't believe you'll need to run the 'clean-up' tool as long as you reboot after the uninstall to insure it completes properly.

When you re-install it should ask for activation again, so just be careful that you use the correct one this time.

OneCareBear

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:27 PM
  • To confirm OneCareBear's answer, this is a bug that will be fixed in a future upgrade. The only solution once you use LiveID "x" in trial mode and need to activate with LiveID "y" is to uninstall and reinstall.

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:10 PM