Activation Problem After Using Norton 2003 Clone Feature RRS feed

• Question

• Question

Following the problem / question described below I have posted a WGA Report: 

I replace my motherboard and drives.... installed XP Pro and activated....and installed all my software.

The PC was working fine and the internet connection was fine.

Then with Norton Ghost 2003 I followed cloning procedure.... but it froze.

I then carried out an XP Upgrade repair.

Everything works fine apart from the internet connection that displays the

error message:

The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context.

When I click Start / accessories / system tools /activate...................................

………..the Activation wizard does not start.

I have followed the WGA procedure....which confirms the installation but

without the wizard.....I cannot proceed any further...... I am very reluctant

to do a clean install as I have a pile of software to reinstall if I do.

Summary

1. 30 days to activate message.
    2. The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context......error message. 
    3. Activation Wizard will not open when “Keys” icon clicked.

Thanks in advance

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0)

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Not Activated

Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DYV3Y-KQPHD-V424W

Windows Product Key Hash: /n2/N+u7tSQ4KRPa1jM0LJmLUok=

Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2260855-99307

Windows Product ID Type: 3

Windows License Type: OEM System Builder

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

ID: {4834F20D-0031-41BA-98E4-21486AB7A823}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): N/A

Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 1

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.9.40.0

WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2

Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2

Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 - 100 Genuine

OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{4834F20D-0031-41BA-98E4-21486AB7A823}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-V424W</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2260855-99307</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-507921405-1500820517-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0705   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20090603000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>06A330DF01844078</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57371</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{90170409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>5EA9C3672EB0500</Val><Hash>GZD+9sfb5ecL3RxyV4F75a86u2M=</Hash><Pid>72079-640-0000106-55057</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="17" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->

BIOS string matches: yes

Marker string from BIOS: 13630:ASUSTeK Computer Inc

Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

N/A

Monday, September 28, 2009 1:43 PM

Answers

• Hello DermotP,

Sorry we could not be more help, but I think your suggestion to do a clean installation is the best course of action at this point.

Normally the Norton Ghost line of products is reliable.  I haven't used Ghost 2003 in quite a while, as I have switched over to Acronis True Image.  You'll want to check at the Norton/Symantec support site for Ghost to make sure there is not a critical patch or update that needs to be applied to correct whatever problem you may have encountered, and post in the user-to-user message board to see if other Ghost users can offer some advice for your particular issue.

Good Luck!  ;-)
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:16 PM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Hello Dan

I have done a clean install.
    Everything is fine and no problem with activation.

I haven't had trouble with Ghost 2003 before now.
    Acronis True Image gets good reviews so I think I'll purchase a copy.
    I plan to Office 2007 also

Thanks again

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hello DermotP,

Could you specifiy the reason for replacing your motherboard and drives?

You state that after replacing the motherboard and drives, your first installation went fine.  Then, you ran Ghost and cloned this installation.  What is not clear is, to which computer did you attempt to install this cloned installation...to the computer on which you generated the clone, or onto a different computer?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, September 28, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Hello Dan

The motherboard and drives were faulty after several years of use.
    The new board Asus M2N68 AM2 incorporates sata drives so I replaced the original ide drives which were causing BSOD errors intermittently.

The installation was fine.
    The problem occurred when I tried to clone with Norton 2003.
    After researching the internet I believe Norton 2003 to be dated now although it worked fine for my earlier PC

The clone is not for another installation but kept as an identical backup drive should I have problems at a latter date.
    It saves me the tedious task of installing all my applications and ensures I have a running PC.

Edit
    The clone process did not work.
    It hardly started.....then froze.....and did not complete.
    I used Diskpart to identify the defective drive and deleted the drive patitions and set the original C drive partition as active.
    The system works fine except for the internet...which I believe is due to the activation error.

Monday, September 28, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Hello DermotP,

You wrote, "The system works fine except for the internet...which I believe is due to the activation error."

I think it's actually the other way around.  The default method for activation is an automatic online activation.  If there is no internet connection, the Activation Wizard can't complete its task.

Let's try to manually bring up the Activation Wizard.  Click Start>Run, type oobe/msoobe /a [note the space between msoobe and /a] and click OK or press Enter.  This should manually start the Activation Wizard.  If it does, select Activate Windows by Telephone and follow the prompts to enter the installation ID shown by the Activation Wizard into the telephonic system, and then enter the telephonic system's activation ID into the Activation Wizard.

If the msoobe command does not start the Activation Wizard, then we have reached the limit of what we can accomplish in the context of the WGA forum, because technically Product Activation is a separate function from WGA, and lack of an internet connection is certainly outside of the topic of this forum.  At that point you will need to seek further assistance either with Microsoft tech support or from other sources such as online newsgroups and help sites.  There's always the possibility that Ghost 2003 experienced some sort of error either as cause or effect for the current issue.

Regarding WGA and OGA, there is something that I can tell you....

Here is a snippet of your mgadiag report:

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2

Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2

Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 - 100 Genuine

OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

The report is telling us that you have a nongenuine installation of a Volume Licensing-only edition of Office 2003 Pro.  Your installation was done with a widely pirated and now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK).

Volume Licensing editions of Office such as your installation of Office 2003 Professional are not to be sold to individual consumers, and are only to be sold to larger businesses, educational institutions, and governmental agencies who need flexibility in installing and deploying many copies of Office.

These Volume Licenses should not be sold to consumers because they are not permanent licenses; they are subject to a current Volume Licensing Agreement that has a finite term, sort of like a lease.  Consumers thinking they purchased permanently licensd software would understandably be upset when their software stopped working at the end of a lease.

If you purchased Office 2003 Professional thinking you were buying genuine retail Office Professional for consumers with a permanent license, please return the software to the place of purchase for replacement or a full refund.

You can also review the Office Genuine Advantage FAQ to see if you qualify for the discounted or complimentary replacement program called the Office Genuine Offer: 
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=4ba10af9-ffaa-4cb9-9af4-6aff8a220262#ID0EKNAC

Your installation of Front Page 2003 is showing as genuine, but according to the PID being reported 72079-640-0000106-55057</Pid><PidType>14</PidType this too is Volume Licensing Editions of FrontPage 2003--the "640" number and the PID type of "14" indicates Volume Licensing.  This means that if you are associated with the business, educational institution, or governmental agency that purchased a current Volume Licensing Agreement for the use of this product, your use of the Product Key results a genuine installation.  The flipside of that is unless you are using the software under a current Volume Licensing Agreement for FrontPage 2003, it too is a nongenuine use of Volume Licensing software.

Monday, September 28, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Hello Dan

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed the blocked items in the report an wondered about that.
    I will uninstall it and follow it up.

Click Start>Run, type oobe/msoobe /a       ............Does not startup the wizard...... I had tried that prior to posting.

To Quote You
    I think it's actually the other way around.  The default method for activation is an automatic online activation.  If there is no internet connection, the Activation Wizard can't complete its task.

The odd thing is..... although I cannot access a website..... via the address bar.....Google comes up as the home page and entering a search does connect to websites.... which implies that the internet connection is working.

XP may have been corrupted during during the upgrade repair process.

I think the best choice is a clean install as I think other problems may occur with corrupted installation.

Thanks for advice.

Monday, September 28, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Hello DermotP,

Sorry we could not be more help, but I think your suggestion to do a clean installation is the best course of action at this point.

Normally the Norton Ghost line of products is reliable.  I haven't used Ghost 2003 in quite a while, as I have switched over to Acronis True Image.  You'll want to check at the Norton/Symantec support site for Ghost to make sure there is not a critical patch or update that needs to be applied to correct whatever problem you may have encountered, and post in the user-to-user message board to see if other Ghost users can offer some advice for your particular issue.

Good Luck!  ;-)
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Hello Dan

I have done a clean install.
    Everything is fine and no problem with activation.

I haven't had trouble with Ghost 2003 before now.
    Acronis True Image gets good reviews so I think I'll purchase a copy.
    I plan to Office 2007 also

Thanks again

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:15 PM