Deleting shared folder RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone tell me how to delete a shared folder on the server?  I created one in the "Shared Folders" folder instead of in the Users folder, and now I can not delete it, nor can I paste files in it.

Thank you.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:27 PM

Answers

• Did you create it by using the Windows Home Server console application, or by logging in to the server either directly or through Remote Desktop?

If you created it by logging in to the server, then you will probably have to remove it the same way.
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:52 AM
  •  MoonHowler wrote:
    I did create the shared folder through the remote desktop connection.  But when I tried to use it and could not move files there I "messed" with the permissions and settings.  That was probably my problem, as to why I could not delete it.

Anyway, I tried to delete it through the remote desktop connection, and could not.  But for some reason, when I went back to my computer in a couple of days, then I was able to delete the folder.

Perhaps my computer is haunted.

(I now realize that when a knew folder is created through the remote desktop connection, I have to allow sharing and uncheck the "read only" setting which is the default before it will work properly.)

Actually, you shouldn't be creating any shares or folders through RDC.  You should create shares through the Console and folders inside those shares through Windows Explorer from any client PC (with the appropriate user permissions, of course).

Sunday, July 20, 2008 12:07 AM

All replies

•  MoonHowler wrote:
    Can anyone tell me how to delete a shared folder on the server?  I created one in the "Shared Folders" folder instead of in the Users folder, and now I can not delete it, nor can I paste files in it.

Thank you.

You should be able to delete it through the Console.  Shared Folders tab > select the folder to delete > click Remove.  How did you create it?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:38 PM
  • Odd--It does not show up on the console, but it does in the shared folders or windows explorer.
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:22 AM
  • Did you create it by using the Windows Home Server console application, or by logging in to the server either directly or through Remote Desktop?

If you created it by logging in to the server, then you will probably have to remove it the same way.
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:52 AM
  •  

I did create the shared folder through the remote desktop connection.  But when I tried to use it and could not move files there I "messed" with the permissions and settings.  That was probably my problem, as to why I could not delete it.

Anyway, I tried to delete it through the remote desktop connection, and could not.  But for some reason, when I went back to my computer in a couple of days, then I was able to delete the folder.

(I now realize that when a knew folder is created through the remote desktop connection, I have to allow sharing and uncheck the "read only" setting which is the default before it will work properly.)

Saturday, July 19, 2008 11:56 PM
  •  MoonHowler wrote:

Actually, you shouldn't be creating any shares or folders through RDC.  You should create shares through the Console and folders inside those shares through Windows Explorer from any client PC (with the appropriate user permissions, of course).

Sunday, July 20, 2008 12:07 AM