VS2010 very slow build times and overall performance?? RRS feed

• Question

• So I decided to give VS10 pro a try and I'm very disappointed. The overall performance of the IDE is very slow from opening solutions, closing them, and even building. Building a project that took no more than 1 minute in VS2008 now takes almost 5 minutes in VS2010. I am still targeting framework v3.5 but still.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I'm running Win 7 x64 with 4gb of ram, Intel Core 2 Extreme (3.06Ghz) processor. Now I still have VS2008 install on my machine so I am assuming that VS2008 and VS2010 can still be installed on the same machine.

• Moved by Larcolais Gong Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:40 AM (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:54 PM

Answers

• I foudn out the issue. With Visual Studio 2008 I could write / build to my home drive (which is a network drive). With Visual studio 2010 it does not seem to like this as much and takes forever.

Is that even supported? Reason I like keeping my files on the home drive is because it is backed up daily.

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Jacob,

Thank you for your post.

As I know, your issue might be caused by many factors.

I would provide you some suggestions here. You could refer it.

1, if you have installed some add-ins, could you please uninstall them and try it again?

2, could you please set the suitable physical memory on your machine?

Hope this helps!

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, August 23, 2010 3:33 AM
  • I foudn out the issue. With Visual Studio 2008 I could write / build to my home drive (which is a network drive). With Visual studio 2010 it does not seem to like this as much and takes forever.

Is that even supported? Reason I like keeping my files on the home drive is because it is backed up daily.

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Hi Jacob,

Based on your description, it seems that your latest concerns might be more related with IIS, project publish, net transport.

Here is visual studio setup and installation forum.

You could consult your concerns in the following forums.

IIS: http://www.iis.net/

ASP.NET: http://forums.asp.net

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:40 AM