Swapping Harddrives RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a valid and fully functional XP Media edition in my computer. I want to put the harddrive in a different computer. I do not want to run more than 1 installation, I just want to change computers. How do I get a coa that will allow me to change computers?
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:57 AM


  • Hello kkk88yyvv,

    The End User Licensing Agreements (EULA) for OEM licenses for XP do not permit moving an OEM license from the computer onto which it was first installed to any other computer.

    You can view the EULA for your installation of Windows.  Click Start>Run, type winver and click OK.  In the resultant window, click on the link to view your EULA/Software Licensing Terms.

    ALL licenses for XP Media Center Edition are OEM licenses...MCE was never offered with a retail license and sold in a pretty retail box by Microsoft.

    So, the answer is that you are not permitted by the EULA to move your license for XP MCE from its original computer to any other computer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:11 PM