Can the system disk affect the performance of the other disks? RRS feed

• Question

• Let's assume the system drive is on the verge of failing. The drive starts clicking and its seek times go through the roof. Can this affect the performance of the other drives in the WHS? for instance file copy performance?
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:28 AM

Answers

• Hi.

If the system disk is failing, it will really not affect the other drives per se.

However, since your operating system is running on the system drive, and since the OS expects the system drive to be operational (not at least for the paging file and temp files) you will notice performance problems overall. All file and network operations is done by the WHS OS. If it runs on a drive with problems, you will most probably see problems in general WHS usage. Additionally, if you have enabled duplication for a folder on a 2 drive system, it will try to mirror the data to the system drive.

I would recommend you to replace the system drive as soon as possible.

If a 2 motor airplane loses one engine, it can still fly. The solution is not to continue flying just because it can, the solution is to fix the problem why the engine stopped.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Magnus

My blog: InsomniacGeek.com
    • Marked as answer by BartS. _ Wednesday, May 5, 2010 9:03 AM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:41 AM

All replies

• Hi.

If the system disk is failing, it will really not affect the other drives per se.

However, since your operating system is running on the system drive, and since the OS expects the system drive to be operational (not at least for the paging file and temp files) you will notice performance problems overall. All file and network operations is done by the WHS OS. If it runs on a drive with problems, you will most probably see problems in general WHS usage. Additionally, if you have enabled duplication for a folder on a 2 drive system, it will try to mirror the data to the system drive.

I would recommend you to replace the system drive as soon as possible.

If a 2 motor airplane loses one engine, it can still fly. The solution is not to continue flying just because it can, the solution is to fix the problem why the engine stopped.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Magnus

My blog: InsomniacGeek.com
    • Marked as answer by BartS. _ Wednesday, May 5, 2010 9:03 AM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:41 AM
  • indeed, my main problem is that ever tool I have at my disposal says all disks are fine (chkdsk,SMART) but I can conclude from the performance monitor ans sounds  there must be a problem.
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 9:08 AM
  • Yea if its clicking, it should be replaced
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:38 PM