Two WHS2011 Servers on the same network? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if when using the Connector Software, it is possible to select between two WHS2011 Servers on the same network? I want this purely for administration purposes rather than say using RDP to my 2nd server. My thought was using a VM on one of my clients and installing the connector on the VM just to manage my second WHS2011 Server.

The second server will only be used to provide shared folders so media streaming will be switched off, no Remote Access and no Client backups.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:09 PM

Answers

• OK, I built my second WHS2011 server this weekend. Using XP Mode in Win 7 Pro, I did a NewServer/connect to my new server (rather than the old one which was still on and connected to the same network) and the Connector successfully installed and connected to my new Server. I can now manage my second server via the Dashboard under a VM on the same machine that I use to manage the original Server.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, August 8, 2011 3:03 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 3:03 AM

All replies

• The method used in V1, running discovery.exe, is no longer available in Windows Home Server 2011, Philip, and I don't know of an equivalent. If you're just using it as a file server, you can manage it through remote desktop, though.
    You still won't be able to get two server accessible through remote access, though.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 7:13 PM
  • I wonder  if deleting your connector sw and then reinstalling by clicking on the second WHS2011 server under other devices in the network display would work?

Right now I have a WHSv1 and a WHS2011 on the same network and they each work fine.  I use the v1 primarily as a automatic backup (via scheduled synctoy) for all the WHS2011 shares and as a primary backup for my older seldom used PCs that would exceed the 10pc limit if I put them on the WHS2011 machine.

I did buy a second copy of WHS2011 software and intend to build up a socond WHS2011 machine but I as expecting to use the Discovery.exe method which apparently is no longer available. 

If anyone finds a way that works as it did for v1 please let us know.

Friday, August 5, 2011 12:25 AM
  • I also had WHS1 and WHS2011 working without problem on the same network - appropriate connector installed on each client. I am planning to build my 2nd WHS2011 server this weekend and will experiment if I get that done. Hoping that installing the Connector from a specific server will allow the client to connect to that server, but will find out when I try it. I will report back my findings.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 1:50 AM
  • OK, I built my second WHS2011 server this weekend. Using XP Mode in Win 7 Pro, I did a NewServer/connect to my new server (rather than the old one which was still on and connected to the same network) and the Connector successfully installed and connected to my new Server. I can now manage my second server via the Dashboard under a VM on the same machine that I use to manage the original Server.

• Marked as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, August 8, 2011 3:03 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 3:03 AM
  • Did you try installing the connector without the VM?  If you have both servers running and you do a newserver connect to the new machine, which machine does it connect to or does it give you a choice? 

One way I used my 2 V1 servers and my current one V1 and one 2011 is to provide pc client backups for seldom used machines on the V1 and the active machines on the 2011.  I kinda would like to do this with two 2011 machines since my total client PC count is greater than 10 if I include the seldom used machines....but I still want them backed up.

Monday, August 8, 2011 4:23 AM
  • Did you try installing the connector without the VM?  If you have both servers running and you do a newserver connect to the new machine, which machine does it connect to or does it give you a choice? 

One way I used my 2 V1 servers and my current one V1 and one 2011 is to provide pc client backups for seldom used machines on the V1 and the active machines on the 2011.  I kinda would like to do this with two 2011 machines since my total client PC count is greater than 10 if I include the seldom used machines....but I still want them backed up.

The connector is already installed on the PC and connected to my original Server - the experiment was to see if I could connect a new PC to either of two servers on the same network.

Monday, August 8, 2011 12:04 PM
  • One way I used my 2 V1 servers and my current one V1 and one 2011 is to provide pc client backups for seldom used machines on the V1 and the active machines on the 2011.  I kinda would like to do this with two 2011 machines since my total client PC count is greater than 10 if I include the seldom used machines....but I still want them backed up.

Consider using the Storage Server Essentials 2008 R2 SKU instead of the Windows Home Server SKU. They're the same under the hood, with only a few differences. The big one for you would be that the SSE version supports up to 25 clients. It will only be available from OEMs, however, there will be no system builder packaging.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 8, 2011 12:34 PM