spy ware... RRS feed

• Question

• my computer is running slow.. does windows live automatically start up spyware? or do i need to start it manually every time i use the omputer??

Monday, April 7, 2008 3:59 PM

Answers

• Are you using Windows Live OneCare? If so, is it in green status? If yes, then the virus and spyware protection has been enabled. If you are using OneCare and are manually starting Windows Defender, OneCare includes the protection of Defender, so it will disable it at boot - don't start it yourself.

-steve

Monday, April 7, 2008 5:11 PM

All replies

• Are you using Windows Live OneCare? If so, is it in green status? If yes, then the virus and spyware protection has been enabled. If you are using OneCare and are manually starting Windows Defender, OneCare includes the protection of Defender, so it will disable it at boot - don't start it yourself.

-steve

Monday, April 7, 2008 5:11 PM
  • the statue is yellow/orange and this is because i have not configured my backup yet.

does this mean that the virus & spyware is not enabled? i do not start it manually, i assumed it all started when i turn on the computer.   

Monday, April 7, 2008 5:38 PM
  • No, if your virus and spyware protection was off, it would be in red status as that is critical. If you don't want to configure backup at this time, you can turn off backup on the PC and go to green status. You can then configure backup at any time.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

-steve

Monday, April 7, 2008 5:47 PM