none
Future of Windows 8.1

General discussion

• Will there ever be a proper start menu for the desktop in Windows 8.1? I  rarely use the start screen and probably never will, as all the work I do on my computer is from the desktop. I hate having to go through several steps to accomplish what used to only take a "couple of clicks" with Windows XP. Yes, Windows 8.1 is a giant leap in so many ways. For me and a lot of other users, I suspect, there are too many things going on in 8 and 8.1 that get in the way of productivity when working from the desktop. XP was like a Corvette you could drive all day and enjoy it! Windows 8 and 8.1 come across more like a Rolls-Royce that looks astonishing, but almost requires you to have someone drive it for you.
    Sunday, March 9, 2014 5:15 PM

All replies

• There will not be any official update to 8.1 to bring the start button back. I have read somewhere, that start button may come back in Windows 9, but I´m not sure. Believe me or not, but the lack of start button is the smallest problem in Windows 8. With proper use you won´t miss it anymore. I actually use Windows 7 now as I would use W8 - hit WIN key all the time :)

The biggest problem in Windows 8.1 is to force users to use full screen apps in PC devices. So it´s all about customizing your W8.1 image to corporate enviroment. If you apply the image AS-IS, no one will use it and you will get lot of crap as IT-guy. I had to manipulate start screen, MS build-in Apps and theme to suit the W8.1 OS to a corporate use.
    Sunday, March 9, 2014 6:17 PM