trapped by vista validation RRS feed

• Question

• I have two oem licenses I bought from newegg, one for xp and one for vista, installed
    them on two different machines and was a happy user. Recently I had the need to swap
    the OSs on the two machines. I knew I had oem licenses and this could mean trouble,
    so I called Microsoft first, and was told that I could do it as long as I remove the old
    installations. I performed the swap and now vista will not activate on the machine where
    I had xp before saying that it is already in use! I called Microsoft again and this time got
    a different answer, I need to  pay the fee $59 to get any help! I am trapped!
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:21 PM

Answers

• Hi ac71,

No, absolutly not. I do not know which Microsoft number you called, but they should have known that when an OEM Windows comes Pre-installed on a computer, that OEM license is tied to that hardware and is not licensed to be moved to another computer. But in your case, you bought the OEM Windows stand-alone, so it should not be bound by license, to one computer. 

All you need to do, to Activate your Vista computer, is use the Activate by Phone method. To do this, please follow one of the steps below.

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\slui.exe" press enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:11 AM

All replies

• Hi ac71,

No, absolutly not. I do not know which Microsoft number you called, but they should have known that when an OEM Windows comes Pre-installed on a computer, that OEM license is tied to that hardware and is not licensed to be moved to another computer. But in your case, you bought the OEM Windows stand-alone, so it should not be bound by license, to one computer. 

All you need to do, to Activate your Vista computer, is use the Activate by Phone method. To do this, please follow one of the steps below.

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\slui.exe" press enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:11 AM
  •  

Thanks for clarifying, it worked! I feel so much better!
    Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:47 AM