backup drive now too small? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using an 8gig external hard drive for back up for a while now. My hard drive crashed and repairs made. I was able to restore my backed up filesd with no problem but now when I try to do a new backup I'm told that a 25gig drive is required. What's up with that?
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:02 AM

Answers

• Since you have now restored the data from your 8 Gig flash drive and then reset your backup plan. you will need to perform a new, full backup since the PC was reinstalled and appears to be a new PC to OneCare. Apparently, after the restore, there are now many more files on your PC, perhaps duplicates. Review the "what" part of yoru backup to insure that you are only backing up the file types and locations you wish. You can exclude locations from being checked for files needing backup, which will help prevent backing up duplicates, for example.

See this post for how to reset the plan: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/5f18a60d-add4-4ff2-87cf-021db7e81917

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:05 PM