Why can't I customise the case resolution form? RRS feed

• Question

• For what reason do they disable customisation on the case resolution form? We want to add a field that when a case is resolved the user who resolves the case must put down the job card number along with the description and also we would like the description to be a compulsary field otherwise some users might leave it out and then our history will be incomplete.

If there's any way, other than plug ins to do this, please advice.

If not, why? Shouldn't everything be customisable?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Marilee.

Programming is like a paint by numbers art piece. Creative to an extend, but everything is logical and has its precise place. Blah, it satisfies my creative need in any case.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:10 AM

Answers

• I have no idea where to add code. I don't have any plugins. This is our first time using Microsoft CRM and we're still getting used to it. Not too keen to mess around with the code.

Thanks for the reply.

Programming is like a paint by numbers art piece. Creative to an extend, but everything is logical and has its precise place. Blah, it satisfies my creative need in any case.

Hi,

Plugin (SDK development in C# or VB.Net) will be executed once user enter the data in form, users must have to enter data in fields via Forms. What i am suggesting you is to cusotmize the Case entity form:

1. Go to Settings->Customization->Customizations->Customize the System->Entities->Case->Forms , double click on Information Form

2. click on new field button to add fields for case resolution

3. In form customization designer click on the Insert Tab in Ribbon Toolbar, then click on Add Tab button (i.e. you can name it Case Resolution Additional Fields) and place fields into the tab section

4. To make it simple (do not use any coding JScript to force users to enter values etc), you can advise the users to enter the values in the fields before resolving a case

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".

• Proposed as answer by Jehanzeb.Javeed Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sponge_Over Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:08 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We do not know the exactly reasons for not being allowed to customize forms like Case Resolution, Lead Qualification etc. only Microsoft team could tell you exactly but in back CRM 3.0 many things were not customizable and become customize in CRM 4.0 and same goes for CRM 2011. As per my understanding Microsoft CRM Team is trying their best to make everything customizable but it is comming over time.

As CRM does not support so you can use supportrted customizations workaround or create new aspx form (not work on CRM online) or silverlight app that will popup on butotn click:

1. As CRM 2011 not supports customizing a Case Resolve screen so you can add a new fields in case entity new tab (Case Resolution)

2. Add a New Tab (Case Resolution Detail) in Case Entity and drag required fields into the tab

3. Add the following code on On Save Event of Form (if not enter require fields in form then system will force user to enter the fields):

function FrmOnSave(prmContext) {
    var lclSaveMode;

if (prmContext != null && prmContext.getEventArgs() != null) {

lclSaveMode = prmContext.getEventArgs().getSaveMode();

switch (lclSaveMode) {
    // On Event = Resolve Case
    case 5:
    var lclResolutionDate;

//Make sure to replace < field > with the attribute schema name

lclResolutionDate = Xrm.Page.data.entity.attributes.get("<field>");

if (lclResolutionDate.getValue() == null) {
    lclResolutionDate.setRequiredLevel("required");
    }
    break;

}
    }
    }

4. Save and Publish Form

5. Edit View Columns and Add the new column Case Resolution Detail

Jehanzeb Javeed

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:45 AM
  • I have no idea where to add code. I don't have any plugins. This is our first time using Microsoft CRM and we're still getting used to it. Not too keen to mess around with the code.

Thanks for the reply.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:09 AM
  • Case resolution is a System Entity (activity type) that can't be edited. This kind of entities are not customizable to keep the correct fucntionability of the CRM. I am not realy sure, but a Pluggin could be help.
    Julio
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:29 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Hi,

Plugin (SDK development in C# or VB.Net) will be executed once user enter the data in form, users must have to enter data in fields via Forms. What i am suggesting you is to cusotmize the Case entity form:

1. Go to Settings->Customization->Customizations->Customize the System->Entities->Case->Forms , double click on Information Form

2. click on new field button to add fields for case resolution

3. In form customization designer click on the Insert Tab in Ribbon Toolbar, then click on Add Tab button (i.e. you can name it Case Resolution Additional Fields) and place fields into the tab section

4. To make it simple (do not use any coding JScript to force users to enter values etc), you can advise the users to enter the values in the fields before resolving a case

Jehanzeb Javeed

• Proposed as answer by Jehanzeb.Javeed Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sponge_Over Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:08 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Hi Javeeed,  I am wondering if you could provide some explanation of the code as I could use similar. I needed to modify the case resolution form to make

(a)description a required field  

(b) add a yes/no field say "does KBA exists?"

(c)  if b is yes, then show the look up for Article Entity 

(d) if b is no, then display another yes/no field 'Should this be a new KB then?" if Yes, then display new article form. 

(e) if d no then, have a workflow to notify the Queue/super that the a case is closed without a KB.

Appreciate if you could share your thoughts. Thank you

Friday, August 19, 2011 2:42 AM
  • hi All,

There is no way to customize the Case Resolution form even the attributes.

If you want to do so, you can hide the existing Resolve Case button from the ribbona nd put your Resolve Case button and call a custom Web resource(may be aspx, silver light page) and put your required fields there, in that filed.

But if the case is resolved nad closed it will be availabe as a record in the Closed Activites, this may not happen in custom pages.

yes.sudhanshu

http://bproud2banindian.blogspot.com
    http://ms-crm-2011-beta.blogspot.com
    Friday, December 2, 2011 3:54 AM