Converting Desktop to Windows Home Server-Acer AM3400-U2502 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question. I currently own an Acer AM3400-U2502 desktop PC that I bought in the summer of 2010. The specs on the computer are Processor: AMD Athlon II 2.7 GHz, Installed Memory: 4 GB (DDR3-SDRAM), and HDD Size: 640 GB. The computer is running Windows 7 and I only use the computer to watch movies on and nothing else. I was wondering if I could convert this desktop into a Windows Home Server and if so how? Or do I have to buy different hardware for the server. I live in Michigan but frequently am traveling and using multiple computers. Could I use the Home Server to Remote Access my documents remotely? Also, if I can do this, where can I buy the software to convert it, I have looked for the software in the stores of Walmart, Best Buy, and Staples and have not found the software anywhere except on the internet.

Thank you,

Troy
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Windows Home Server installation media can only be purchased as OEM or system builder version. In the past Newegg or Amazon have been stores selling this.

About converting the machine to WHS (with full loss of all stored stuff on it) it could be done. Before you start, it is recommended to change the SATA controller mode in Bios to IDE/PATA compatible, since you will have otherwise to provide storage drivers twice, one time from floppy. (Windows Server 2003 as the base OS for WHS has no native SATA drivers built in.)

I would also recommend a second disk, so that you can use the duplication feature, and depending from the importance of stored data to you two or more external disks as backup drive. (A server can die due to electricity, fire, theft, whatever and take all its disks with him.)

Try also to get Windows Server 2003 or at least Windows XP compatible network drivers for the network interface card you plan to use. (A server without network drivers is very secure, but serves not too well.)

Best greetings from Germany and happy Christmas holidays
    Olaf

Friday, December 24, 2010 7:41 AM