Backup on CD-R RRS feed

• Question

• I want to back up on CD-R discs on my computer internal CD drive; but it keeps telling me Invalid when I choose this from menu. Help!  I had Norton before and it was very easy to backup with it; Why is this so complicated? 

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:38 PM

Answers

• Backup is confusing, Jean... I now know what you are encountering.

You are configuring "Centralized backup" from a hub PC. This is the option for backing up one or more PCs in your subscription that are connected to the same local network to an external hard drive or a network location. You cannot use a CD or DVD for Centralized backup.

I don't think you want Centralized backup and if you only have a single PC with OneCare on it, you should probably not have this PC configured to be a hub. (Click on Your OneCare Circle and then click on Stop making this PC a hub under your PC name at the top of the window that appears.)

If you have one PC or you want each PC to backup on their own, you need to skip past the Centralized backup option. 

Assuming your PC is a hub PC -

Open OneCare.

Click on Change Settings

Click on the Backup tab

Click on Configure Backup.

Click on change settings in the lower left corner

In the left frame, you will see "Backup plan for all PCs" and below that one or more computer names. The one you are at is the first on the list below the "all PCs" entry.

Make sure that the selection for "No centralized backup" is selected

Click your PC name

The window to the right changes and shows you the backup plan for your PC

Place a check mark next to "turn on backup for this PC" if it isn't already selected

The default selection for "Where" is CD/DVD - leave that as is

You cannot change the backup time with CD/DVD, it will remind you with Tune-up. You can perform a manual backup at any time using the plan settings from the main OneCare window.

For the "What" selection, click "change this" and follow the wizard to select and review what files will be backed up. When backing up to CD/DVD it is a good idea to exclude folders that you never want to backup as well as only select file types that you want backed up. The default is to backup all valid file types from all valid folders, which can be a while lot of data for the first backup. Subsequent backups will only backup new or changed files.

Once you have made your selections, click next and save the backup Plan.

If your PC is not a hub PC in a Circle, you will not see the "Backup Plan for all PCs" entry in the first dialog for backup configuration.

Take care,

-steve

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:13 PM

All replies

• It is possible that your previous backup solution is not fully removed and has a lock on the CDR drive. Did you use Norton for protection and backup? Is the error occurring when you are trying to configure backup or run back following configuration>

-steve

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:43 PM
  • Steve.

Yes, I used Norton for protection and backup and I think I get this message when I am trying to configure backup or when

I choose place to backup to. 

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:50 PM
  • Give the Norton removal tool a try - 

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Once that has completed, see if you can configure OneCare backup to use the CD drive. if not, please contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Steve

I tried the remove Norton tool you sent; and went back but still get message "Invalid network share name" When

I try the "Add location"   I chose CD-RW Drive (FSmile which enters  F:\ in the box. I don't understand the Example:

\\MyNetwork\Main ??  How do I enter this F;\ as my new location to backup?

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:17 PM
  • Add location is used to add a network share, meaning a folder on another PC or device - not a CD or DVD writer. If your CD writer is recognized, it should be listed in the box already. If it is not listed, that would signify a problem with the drive itself or you have other software that is holding the drive for it's own use, causing OneCare to not see it. Do you have burning software installed that lets you format a CD and then copy files to it using Windows Explorer such as InCD or DirectCD by Nero and Roxio respectively?

-steve

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:44 PM
  • I don't think that this is the problem, but if you open Windows Explorer and do not see your CD drive listed under My Computer, the tool here can fix that if it happened when you uninstalled the Norton software:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

-steve

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:46 PM
  • Steve,

I opened Windows Explorer and I see that I have CD-RW Drive (FSmile and DVD Drive (ESmile. So what is the problem? I still

get message from One Care that "Centralized Backup has not been configured" and "These PCs have their own backup plan" ?????

I

Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:42 PM
  • Backup is confusing, Jean... I now know what you are encountering.

You are configuring "Centralized backup" from a hub PC. This is the option for backing up one or more PCs in your subscription that are connected to the same local network to an external hard drive or a network location. You cannot use a CD or DVD for Centralized backup.

I don't think you want Centralized backup and if you only have a single PC with OneCare on it, you should probably not have this PC configured to be a hub. (Click on Your OneCare Circle and then click on Stop making this PC a hub under your PC name at the top of the window that appears.)

If you have one PC or you want each PC to backup on their own, you need to skip past the Centralized backup option. 

Assuming your PC is a hub PC -

Open OneCare.

Click on Change Settings

Click on the Backup tab

Click on Configure Backup.

Click on change settings in the lower left corner

In the left frame, you will see "Backup plan for all PCs" and below that one or more computer names. The one you are at is the first on the list below the "all PCs" entry.

Make sure that the selection for "No centralized backup" is selected

Click your PC name

The window to the right changes and shows you the backup plan for your PC

Place a check mark next to "turn on backup for this PC" if it isn't already selected

The default selection for "Where" is CD/DVD - leave that as is

You cannot change the backup time with CD/DVD, it will remind you with Tune-up. You can perform a manual backup at any time using the plan settings from the main OneCare window.

For the "What" selection, click "change this" and follow the wizard to select and review what files will be backed up. When backing up to CD/DVD it is a good idea to exclude folders that you never want to backup as well as only select file types that you want backed up. The default is to backup all valid file types from all valid folders, which can be a while lot of data for the first backup. Subsequent backups will only backup new or changed files.

Once you have made your selections, click next and save the backup Plan.

If your PC is not a hub PC in a Circle, you will not see the "Backup Plan for all PCs" entry in the first dialog for backup configuration.

Take care,

-steve

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Steve,

I don't find where to click on Stop making this PC a hub; because I don't find my PC listed????

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Open OneCare

If your PC is a hub, you will see two shields in the left frame of the main OneCare interface.

One will say, Your OneCare Circle and the status. Above that will be your PC name and its status.

In the main window to the right, when you click on Your One Care Circle, will be a list of the PCs in your subscription *if* your PC is a hub PC. If it is not, you will see a screen where you can make your PC a hub. If that's what you see, don't make it a hub.

So, for your backup issue, don't worry about the hub issue. Just follow the detailed steps in my previous post for how to configure backup and it should work fine.

-steve

Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:55 PM
  • Steve,

I am absolutely lost!   I did as you said and went onto configure backup and it tells me it can't find my disc burner?  The "where" and "what" you mention are not on my screen??   I have a cd writer and a DVD Rom on my computer (built in);so why can't it find it?

Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Jean, please contact support at your earliest convenience.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare CD backup" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3748367&SiteID=2

I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 2:05 PM