Running SyncToy cmdline style RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a CMD file in which I run SyncToy pairs to schedule my daily backups.  I encounter problems with this if the destination folders have just been set up - I have to manually run the SYNC because SyncToy says ...

"SyncToyCmd has detected that the folder pair UserFiles2D has not been synchronized yet. Please run SyncToy.exe to complete the initial synchronization."

The commandline I am using is -

"C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.1\SyncToyCmd.exe" -R UserFiles2D

What am I doing wrong?  Is there a switch I need to use to force it to build the first sync when running a command line?

I want to rename the backup folders at the start of each month so a new "contribute" folder pair builds up.  However, until I can get that initial run happening from the cmdline I can't do that renaming in the CMD file unless I manually run SyncToy at the start of each month first (after renaming the previous folders and creating new ones).  Rather defeats the purpose of cmdline options if one can't create the initial sync.  Understandably one needs to set up the folder pairs using the GUI but I was hoping the the initial sync would also be possible from the commandline just like the subsequent updates can be.

In the "Schedule SyncToy" HELP section it says you can "schedule recurrent SyncToy runs".  But there's no mention that oyu need to do the initial one manually - would be great if you didn't have to ;-}

I used to use good old "XCOPY <srce> <dest> /D" but that fails every time nowadays ("insufficient memory" or other random error msgs).

Friday, December 3, 2010 12:11 PM

All replies

• My understanding is that there is no space between the -R and the name of the ST pair.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:39 AM
  • Your answer is technically correct but makes no difference to the problem. In fact whether you have a space there or not, the selected folder pair runs (or attempts to be run). . The problem that an "un-initialised folder pair" cannot be "initialised" using SyncToyCmd.exe still exists. Is this something that is on the list for the nextrelease? Does anyone know when that might appear?
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Is there anyone from Microsoft monitoring these postings, to try and help users & maybe advise on what they are doing wrong? Any hints or comments like "good thought, we'll add that to the next release" and "next release will be out by August 2011, go here http://sss.x.x/ss/ss tom find out enhancements & fixes" ?? .. Just maybe someone is out there??? . . . . . . . Seems it's just users who are equally struggling with the product are looking, posting, and replying. Such a pity.
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 6:31 AM