none
WHS - Major issues: Will not update anything and is very sluggish RRS feed

• Question

• All of a sudden one day, my WHS install (system builder, old version) became extremely sluggish, almost to the point of being unusable. When remoting in, I will click and have to wait at least 10 seconds for anything to react, sometimes much longer. Programs frequently become unresponsive and fail (task manager shows nothing weird.) Any transferring files to or from takes MUCH longer than it used to, and frequently fails. Sometimes it won't even let me connect to it via any machine on the network:

---------------------------
    Windows Home Server Console
    This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.
    OK  

When I did get in, I went to run a Windows Update on it, it went through the normal process but then gave me this at the end:

Some updates were not installed

The following updates were not installed:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Server 2003 (KB2559049)
    Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2536276)
    Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2567680)
    Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2566454)
    Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2570222)
    Update Rollup for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Server 2003 (KB2562937)
    Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2570947)
    Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2616676)

Install fails every single time, no matter what, and gives no explanation.

When I do remote desktop connection, it also now gives a certificate error:

The identity of the remote computer cannot be verified. Do you want to connect anyway?

! A revocation check could not be performed for the certificate.

Then I get the option of connecting anyway. Clicking "View Certificate" brings up the Certificate window which allows me to "Install Certificate..." (but it does nothing,) and under "Certificate states:" (under the "Certification Path" tab,) it says "This certificate is OK." This never happened before.

Console shows everything as normal, backups are happening properly and storage is being balanced as usual. Naturally, Console is also taking a very long time to react.

Here's my system properties:

WHS SP2

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket AM2 CPU

MSI K9MM-V Socket AM2 Motherboard

960 MB of RAM (hmm...could swear I have 2 GBs in there...might be a memory issue, I'll check on that in the mean time)

Virtual Memory set @ 1440 MB

I'd be happy to provide any more information needed. Thanks so much for any help, this is driving me nuts!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:51 AM

All replies

• That's some pretty old hardware.  Could be the memory as you suspect or other hardware.  I would also suspect the hard drive(s), but you failed to mention them.  After checking the memory I would run a checkdisk command on all hard drives.

Using the notepad, copy the following and save it as "checkall.cmd" without the quotes to the desktop. 

net stop pdl

net stop whsbackup

chkdsk C: /x /r 

chkdsk D: /x /r

for /d %%1 in (C:\fs\*) do start chkdsk /x /r %%1

Log in to your server, and run it in a command prompt, or double click the checkall.cmd icon from there.

I would let it run overnight, start it right before you go to bed.  It may be finished when you wake, but if you have many drives and they are large, it may take longer.
    --

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

All of a sudden one day, my WHS install (system builder, old version) became extremely sluggish, almost to the point of being unusable. When remoting in, I will click and have to wait at least 10 seconds for anything to react, sometimes much longer. Programs frequently become unresponsive and fail (task manager shows nothing weird.) Any transferring files to or from takes MUCH longer than it used to, and frequently fails. Sometimes it won't even let me connect to it via any machine on the network:

Windows Home Server Console
    This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.
    OK  

When I did get in, I went to run a Windows Update on it, it went through the normal process but then gave me this at the end:

Some updates were not installed

The following updates were not installed:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Server 2003 (KB2559049)
    Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2536276)
    Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2567680)
    Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2566454)
    Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2570222)
    Update Rollup for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Server 2003 (KB2562937)
    Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2570947)
    Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2616676)

Install fails every single time, no matter what, and gives no explanation.

When I do remote desktop connection, it also now gives a certificate error:

The identity of the remote computer cannot be verified. Do you want to connect anyway?

! A revocation check could not be performed for the certificate.

Then I get the option of connecting anyway. Clicking "View Certificate" brings up the Certificate window which allows me to "Install Certificate..." (but it does nothing,) and under "Certificate states:" (under the "Certification Path" tab,) it says "This certificate is OK." This never happened before.

Console shows everything as normal, backups are happening properly and storage is being balanced as usual. Naturally, Console is also taking a very long time to react.

Here's my system properties:

WHS SP2

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket AM2 CPU

MSI K9MM-V Socket AM2 Motherboard

960 MB of RAM (hmm...could swear I have 2 GBs in there...might be a memory issue, I'll check on that in the mean time)

Virtual Memory set @ 1440 MB

I'd be happy to provide any more information needed. Thanks so much for any help, this is driving me nuts!

BullDawg
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:40 AM
  • How to check all the drives in your server for errors

Rebooting afterward is rather important, and covered in the original FAQ linked above (as is the location of the chkdsk reports). If someone wants to copy/paste out of a FAQ that's fine, but don't leave anything out; it's there for a reason. Better yet, just link to the FAQ.

As for memory, you probably have 1 GB of "shared" memory (i.e. your motherboard's video chip uses system memory for video RAM, consuming 64 MB of the total).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:54 AM
  • How full is your C: drive?

If it is nearly full, the server will also act strange.The other things have been told by Ken already.

About the memory I would assume, you had to modules with 512 MB each, and some of it is shared with the video adapter.

Best greetings
    Olaf

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Sorry Ken, didn't have the link to the FAQ, all I had was the checkall.cmd on my hard drive.  I couldn't even remember the source.  The date of the file on my computer is May 8 2011, but I think I had it much earlier than that.  I usually post links when I have them, this time I didn't.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

How to check all the drives in your server for errors

Rebooting afterward is rather important, and covered in the original FAQ linked above (as is the location of the chkdsk reports). If someone wants to copy/paste out of a FAQ that's fine, but don't leave anything out; it's there for a reason. Better yet, just link to the FAQ.

As for memory, you probably have 1 GB of "shared" memory (i.e. your motherboard's video chip uses system memory for video RAM, consuming 64 MB of the total).

BullDawg
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Thank you Olaf,

Sorry for leaving out the storage information. I have one 1.5TB drive in there, it's a fairly new (Sept 2010) WD Caviar Green SATA drive (WD15EARS) partitioned:

SYS C: - 13.6 G free of 20
    DATA D: - 722 G free of 1.34 T

So, that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm pretty sure I have 2 1GB sticks for memory, I'm going to check that as soon as I get a chance. Thanks again!
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Thanks Ken & BullDawg, I'll give that a shot today and report back.

As far as the RAM goes, I expected some of it to be missing for the video card but what I mean is I'm supposed to have 2, 1 GB sticks in there. I'll check that, then run your recommended script.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Since you only have one drive, you can alter the script, dropping the last line. Stopping the services prior is important, and the reboot afterward is important for two reasons: first, you've stopped some services, and second, Windows almost never lets you run chkdsk with the surface scan/repair option on the OS partition without a reboot. :)

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Ok, so I ran the script, let it run overnight, came back to a regular-looking desktop. Rebooted...now what? haha, sorry.

Another interesting thing to note is I ran Crystal Disk Info and got a couple warnings. I've attached the screenshot:

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:48 PM
  • "now what": read the FAQ I linked; it tells you where you'll find your chkdsk reports. :)

Don't bother, though: the hard drive you ran that utility on is failing. Probably some of those uncorrectable sectors have damaged data or critical operating system files as they died. :( Progressive HDD failure can also lead to poor performance as the OS tries to reduce access speed to allow data to be read successfully. Eventually, it steps all the way back to PIO mode, which is extremely slow.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:22 PM