Cannot Retreive Space On Central Backup Device RRS feed

• Question

•  

When I first got OneCareLive, I was able to do one backup to my external Fantom Drive. Now, when I try to backup my files, I get all the way to the point to begin when I get the following error and can't seem to figure out why.

Error:   Backup Cannot Continue:  OneCare cannot retreive the space on the Central Backup Device because of lack of permissions. Please porvide permissions, and then try again.

Any help with this would be deeply appreciated.

Thank You

Darth Rock

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:45 PM

Answers

• Give the following a shot. Note that this will reset your backup and the old backups will not be added to, though you can still restore from that set if desired.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

The error you are getting indicates that you are using or OneCare is trying to use a Centralized backup plan, but if your PC is not configured as a "hub" I think it is getting confused.

-steve

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 6:42 PM

All replies

• Is the drive directly connected to your PC that is getting the error, another PC that is acting as the Hub with the backup location Shared or is it an NAS device directly connected to the LAN? If directly connected, how is it connected? What OS are you using on the PC that is getting the error? Is this PC configured as a Hub for multiple PCs?

Since it is Centralized Backup, are you successfully backing up one or two other PCs in the Circle to the Centralized backup location or are they failing, too? Or is this the only PC doing the backup?

-steve

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:00 PM
  •  

I am using only one PC with Windows Vista Home Basic... It is an external hard drive attached though my usb port. The drive works wonderful. And I was able to do one backup when I first got OneCareLive. I don't have it set up as a 'hub' just as a single system. This is the only PC that I am backing up onto the external drive.

Thank you for you assistance.

Darth Rock

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Give the following a shot. Note that this will reset your backup and the old backups will not be added to, though you can still restore from that set if desired.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

The error you are getting indicates that you are using or OneCare is trying to use a Centralized backup plan, but if your PC is not configured as a "hub" I think it is getting confused.

-steve

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 6:42 PM
  •  

That was the ticket...!  Thank you very much. Your solution fixed the issue I was having and OneCare is now backing up the way it is supposed to. Again, I appreciate your assistance.

Darth Rock

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:36 PM
  • My pleasure. :-) Glad to read that it worked.

-steve

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:51 PM