how do i set up communicator, so that all users see each other's status without adding as contacts? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm intergrating ocs with sharepoint, and on our 'phonebook' where all staff names appear, I want everyone to see everyone's status, but without having them add each other as contacts.

Is there a way of doing this?
    It has to be a permissions issue, as I have the capability to do this ( as network administrator ) but other users don't.

Any ideas?
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 9:20 PM

All replies

• This happens automatically - it's called the Address Book Service (ABS).  At 1:30am each night the address book is updated.  It contains all users who are IP enabled or who have various other AD attributes populated, such as phone numbers.
    Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.

I don't understand then, if that's the case, why are some users able to see the whole list with status updates, whereas other users cannot?

All users show up on the active directory phone list (as they all have such attributes entered in their account)..
    And (to me) all users show up with their ocs status updates.

Other users are able to see them in the phone book, but not their communicator status.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:18 AM
  • The only way that users normally woulnd not be able to see presence status would be if the other users had manually added them to their Blocked Access Level.  Otherwise it appears you may have some networking or client configuration issue if only partial groups of users see presence of others.  Are you using a multiple-domain forest with OCS-enabled user accounts deployed across many domains?
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:32 PM
  • Hi,

OCS has been deployed on single domain. Not sure why only partial users might see online presence.
    Nobody has added anyone onto their communicator, or added to blocked level.....

What client configuration issues could I be experiencing?
    There doesn't seem much I could set up.....
    Monday, April 13, 2009 11:59 PM