none
Server is not running backups says it" Cannot Complete this task because the computer is either offline or it is not connected the network" RRS feed

• Question

• The server stopped performing backups all computers on the network recently.

The main desktop that is hardwired into the network and the other computer is wifi both are giving me the error when I try to run a manual backup:

"Cannot Complete this task because the computer is either offline or it is not connected the network."

I can remote into the server from either computer so I am not sure what the connection issue the server is having.  I have made sure the services on this help page article are running and am out of ideas and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-home-server/ff402498(v=ws.11)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Monday, April 6, 2020 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please log on WSH and open Services (run services.msc), find WHS relate services, try to manually start or re-start them and check the result. Services which name starts with Windows Server, such as Windows Server client computer backup, Windows Server management and etc. I am unable to provide you the detail service name as I do not have a WHS 2011 test system now.

Besides, on one of the client system, please also check WHS 2011 relate service, and try to manually start or re-start them and check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 2:46 AM
  • I have confirmed that all services that have some form of "Windows server" in their title are started and set to automatic on the home server.

This was done as part of the linked troubleshooting web page above.  It has not changed the error message I am receiving when trying to run a backup unfortunately.

I am not seeing the Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service 

on the client computer however. It is not even listed to make sure it is started.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2020 3:51 PM