Backup causes XP to crash / reboot RRS feed

• Question

•  

Installed new / larger harddrive.  Re-installed onecare.  All functions work, except backup.  I backup to a networked external harddrive on a vista computer.  This had been working before the harddrive upgrade.  Now, when onecare backup up starts, it creates the new folder / directory & gets to about 1% -then, the xp computer crashes and reboots.

Any help appreciated.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 4:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please contact support as this certainly is not expected behavior - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, January 28, 2008 2:19 AM
  • I'm seeing the exact same issue, except the drive I'm using for back up is a external USB drive. 

Friday, February 8, 2008 3:51 AM
  • I recently had this exact problem.  When OneCare would attempt to backup my files, it would get to 1% and then my computer would crash.  After one of the many times this occured, I got a pop-up from Microsoft Windows informing me that my system had a critical error causing it to crash and giving me the option to report the error.  When I reported the error, Microsoft sent me to the following website.  http://www.cdp.com/otm_153_dbg_dl.shtml  I was a little sceptical downloading a file from a site I had no knowledge of having anything on my computer from but, I downloaded the file anyway by following the links where it says "File available here" and filling in the necessary information.  I then restarted my system and am now very happy to say I am 36% into my first backup.  According to the website above:

"The OTM build installed on your machine is a limited release debug version of otman5.sys.  The Blue screen you are getting is the result of this driver detecting (falsely) a condition it wanted to notify the developer (CDP) of.  You can install the release version of the driver, which does not have this problem by filling out the following optional information."

Unlike this discription, I did not get a blue screen, just a crashing computer, LOL.  Yea, I can laugh now that I am finally successfully backing my files up.  Hope this helps.  Best of luck to any and all having problems.

CrashFixer1

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 1:44 AM