ELMO68 RRS feed

• Question

• THIS VALIDATE YOUR WINDOWS IS BS. MINE IS REAL GOT REC. TO PROVE... BUT THEY KEEP SAYING TRY THIS OK WELL TRY THIS. SO I THINK IT'S TIME
    Monday, January 24, 2011 4:35 AM

Answers

• Hello elmo68,

Try this:

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

Also, please look on the computer for a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If there is a CoA, please tell us what version and edition of Windows is listed on the CoA, and if there is a manufacturer's name or "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" printed on the CoA.  Do not post the product key printed on the CoA.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 1, 2011 12:03 AM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 4:45 AM

All replies

• Hello elmo68,

Try this:

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

Also, please look on the computer for a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If there is a CoA, please tell us what version and edition of Windows is listed on the CoA, and if there is a manufacturer's name or "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" printed on the CoA.  Do not post the product key printed on the CoA.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 1, 2011 12:03 AM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 4:45 AM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 12:03 AM
  • Hi Dan,

You posted a fix for the "windows needs to be activated" problem that worked for a lot of people (see below).  I really need to use it, but can't get into safe mode!  Is there a way to do it through the Recovery Console prompt?  Been working on this problem for a week and am so darned close.  I can get to my account sign in icon but then I get the "activate" message.  I click "yes I want to activate it now", and then it freezes on a screen with the pretty blue XP background.  We have a wireless home network, but I connected a phone cord just in case. Thanks so much.  Maybe there would be a way to do it from DOS, but I can't get in there either.  Thanks so much...Liliane

Dan at IT Associates                                                                               Friday, May 07, 2010 1:59 AM Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals

...If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, run this to re-arm XP activation:

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

[Edit:  command must be typed exacly as above with space, caps, and comma.]

If you try it, let us know if it worked for you. :-)

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/0b6ca33d-0963-4a00-afc8-3591edaf705a

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:26 AM
  • Hello LilianeM,

What happens when you try to start into Safe Mode?

(To access the Safe Boot Options Menu, repeatedly press F8 (say, 2 times per second) right as the computer manufacturer's logo starts to fade and is soon replaced by the Windows startup logo.)

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:03 AM
  • trying it right now...

thanks so much for answering!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:24 AM
  • OMG!  for the first time it let me get into safe mode with the command prompt!!!  should I type in the code you gave in your orig answer?  a box popped up and says hardware installation:   the software I'm installing for this computer (keyboard) has not passed windows logo testing...
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:29 AM
  • it wants me to choose continue anyway or STOP installation

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:30 AM
  • I'm gonna wait for your answer so I don't set myself back to square one! 

OH,  it also says that this copy of windows is not activated (I've had it for 3 years).

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Hello LilianeM,

You can choose Continue Anyway with no harmful effects.

Yes, enter the command, and of course remember about the space, capitalization, and comma.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:40 AM
  • OK!  doing it right now!
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:43 AM
  • ok it's looking for some files "the file i8042prt.sys on winxp pro sp2cd is needed.  type the path where the file is located and then click ok"  then it gives a window and browse opotion. so I put my win xp pro cd in the drive but the cd drive is not showing up!
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:50 AM
  • I wonder if that file is anywhere on my hard drive. all the HP drivers are in a folder called swsetup. maybe I should look in there. I keep putting in the xp cd but it still doesn't see it.  I know the drive is working because thats how I got into the recovery console

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:54 AM
  • Hello LilianeM,

See if it can find that file here:  c:\windows\system32\drivers

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:54 AM
  • sorry for so many posts, but I just remembered that before all this mess happened I backed up my registry in a file on my desktop.  do you think I could use that to get around this driver issue? or that a system restore in safe mode would fix it?
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:59 AM
  • ok looking
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:59 AM
  • it was there and it installed!  now i'm getting the same found new hardware wizare saying fatal error during installation.  only button to click is 'FINISH"

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:01 AM
  • "click finish to close the wizard"
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:02 AM
  • windows has finished installing new devices.  must restart your computer before the new settings will take effect...no way!
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:09 AM
  • Hello LilianeM,

You have to restart to see if the activation grace period clock was reset back to 30 days by the command...

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:12 AM
  • ok doing it now!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:16 AM
  • windows product activation message...problem has prevented windows from accurately checking the status of the license for this computer.  to proceed your copy of windows must be activated with microsoft. do you want to activate now?
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:19 AM
  • Hello LilianeM,

This is the original message and the reason why you wanted to try the command to reset the activation grace period.

I am assuming that the box to select yes or no is the only thing on the screen, that you do not have a desktop or any icons to work with.

Before you click Yes, try to determine if you are connected to the internet.  Can you press CTRL+ALT+DEL to get the task manager, and if so, click File>New Task and type in iexplore.exe to start Internet Explorer to see if you're on the internet.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:27 AM
  • I'm back at the advanced options menu...do I want to go back to safe mode with prompt?
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:31 AM
  • got iexplore but am not on the internet
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:34 AM
  • Start in normal mode, and if you get the activation message, before clicking yes, see if you can start IE using the Task manager to verify that the computer is on the internet, so that the activation process can move forward.
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:34 AM
  • If you are in normal mode and have IE running and it is not able to get to the internet, then the activation process is not going to be able to get to the internet as well, so that's the next thing we have to fix.

You mentioned a wireless connection...was that working before this activation problem came up?

If we can't get the wireless connection working, then we will have to get a wired connection going.

Do you have an ethernet patch cord to connect the computer to your router?

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:41 AM
  • just loaded the disk driver from safe mode w/ prompt and re-booted; it's installing updates and restarting...maybe it's online...

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:48 AM
  • wireless was working before orig problem (I deleted some drivers trying to make space on my harddrive;after that neither my mouse nor my keyboard were working)

just booted up with the ethernet patch connected directly to the router; not online; "no network adapter was found"

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 5:06 AM
  • Yea!  I entered your code several more times and finally got my desktop back again! Thank you so, so much!  I have been at this an entire week and was about to have a heart attack...truly.

My validation failed and told me I need to buy a license! It didn't even ask for my product key.  How do I proceed with this? 

thank you again!

Liliane

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:52 AM
  • "LilianeM" wrote in message news:deb4840b-ca4e-42e5-898f-216d16b1e6ba...

Yea!  I entered your code several more times and finally got my desktop back again! Thank you so, so much!  I have been at this an entire week and was about to have a heart attack...truly.

My validation failed and told me I need to buy a license! It didn't even ask for my product key.  How do I proceed with this? 

thank you again!

Liliane

Please provide a copy of your MGADiag report -
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

It may show why you're failing activation/validation

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 7:33 AM