WHS - Dropping aps and data ontop of new OS install? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem in my operating system on my current XP machines and the only way to fix it is to reload Windows.  Will I be able to back it up with WHS, reload the operating system, and then drop back only the applications and data ontop of the operating system, or will the WHS only put back the data or entire package?  Oviously, the restored backed up operating system will have the same issue and I want to avoid reloading all the applications.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 12:25 AM

Answers

• I have a problem in my operating system on my current XP machines and the only way to fix it is to reload Windows.  Will I be able to back it up with WHS, reload the operating system, and then drop back only the applications and data ontop of the operating system, or will the WHS only put back the data or entire package?  Oviously, the restored backed up operating system will have the same issue and I want to avoid reloading all the applications.
    You can do either a BMR (Bare Metal Restore) which restores everything or a SFR (Single File Restore) which will allow you to restore whichever individual files you need to restore.  In your case, you can use SFR to restore data, but it won't work for applications because they need to be installed into the OS, not just copied over.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:02 AM