Win10 downloaded to WHS 2011 by Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• I found the $WINDOWS.~WS folder on the C: drive of my WHS 2011 server today and it had close to 6 gb of Win 10 files in it. Has anyone else found these files on their server? I'm going to delete the folder and see if it comes back.
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:09 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

In general, use system built-in disk cleanup tool to clean disk is a more safer choose.

Also, it is better to backup related data before any unsure change, or just rename the folder which you want to delete, and if there is no problem after renaming, you may try to delete it.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 2:30 AM

All replies

• Neither of my WHS 2011 servers contain this folder only my Windows 7 and 8 machines.
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 7:25 AM
  • You are sure, that it was not your Windows client PCs C: drive?

It makes absolutely no sense that this would happen (but we know how IT sometimes acts) - my WHS 2011 definitively does not give any indicator, and in the German WHS forum is also nobody mentioning such strange behavior.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, August 14, 2015 12:36 PM
  • It was definitely on the server, I RDP into it on a regular basis to check on things.  The folder is hidden so if you don't have display of hidden files/folders turned on, you won't see it.  I deleted it and it didn't return so no harm, no foul.
    Saturday, August 15, 2015 3:58 PM
  • Hi, 

In general, use system built-in disk cleanup tool to clean disk is a more safer choose.

Also, it is better to backup related data before any unsure change, or just rename the folder which you want to delete, and if there is no problem after renaming, you may try to delete it.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 2:30 AM