Backup of user directorys on the WHS to another work station RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to have the Server backup the user directory to a remote computer.  Currently it backs up my workstation to the server. I store the user directorys on the server so all the workstations have access from any computer. This means all my data is on the server no data on the workstation. I dont think this is how home server was implemented.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:25 PM

Answers

• There is nothing in the product to support backing up any of the data on your server directly to a remote computer. You could add a server backup drive and back one or more shares to that if you like; consult the help in the console for more details.

As an (unsupported) alternative, you could create something using a tool like robocopy which would copy the contents of one or more shares on your server to a share on the remote computer. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:32 PM

All replies

• There is nothing in the product to support backing up any of the data on your server directly to a remote computer. You could add a server backup drive and back one or more shares to that if you like; consult the help in the console for more details.

As an (unsupported) alternative, you could create something using a tool like robocopy which would copy the contents of one or more shares on your server to a share on the remote computer. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Backing up of Folders on the Windows Home Server can only be done to a disk that has been added to the System as a Backup. 

However, there should be nothing stopping you from running a program on a remote computer that will copy the data from the \\server\users  path - bear in mind the user that will copy this data will need read access on all the sub folders (users)

--
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:37 PM
  • I think i might be able to use the task scheduler to create a backup on a remote computer to backup the user directory's on the WHS server. 

I will try

Thanks
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:56 PM