Apple Time Machine Support RRS feed

• Question

• Are there plans for Vail to support backups from Apple OS X time machine?  I know that this issue was brought up in the forums for the original version of WHS.  I absolutely love my home built WHS machine and the only issue that I have is that there is no good way to implement my Mac backups to WHS using Time Machine in a "supported" way.  I've got to believe that I'm not alone in running a mix of PCs and MACs on my home network. 

Thanks for a great product (WHS).  Looking forward to testing Vail.

Friday, April 30, 2010 6:19 PM

Answers

• I think that's more of an issue for Apple than Microsoft. Apple doesn't "support" time machine backing up to SAMBA volumes, but you can enable the support by flipping a configuration switch. HP's mediasmart software for Apple also enables support for Time Machine targeting WHS. I'm not sure what it does, but I presume it just flips that switch and HP is agreeing to "support that for you". Don't know the underlying details, but its more of a problem with time machine than WHS, and I can't see Microsoft investing any time supporting Time Machine on apple's behalf.

Anyway, I've run Time Machine against WHS for a while now with no problems both with the manual change, and later with HPs client software.

Friday, April 30, 2010 6:39 PM
  • You can submit a product suggestion on Connect , but this is really more of a question for Apple. And Apple doesn't want you to use Time Machine to back up to anything but an Apple Time Capsule. I don't see Microsoft building this into the core Windows Home Server product any more now than I did three+ years ago. Even if Microsoft did build in strong support for Time Machine, do you honestly think Apple is going to say "Windows Home Server is a supported target"?

Note: I don't have a Mac, but I'd love it if Microsoft and Apple could get together and prove me wrong. :) Unfortunately, I think Microsoft just building a Mac connector with full backup capability is more likely, and I don't rate that very highly...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 30, 2010 6:45 PM

All replies

• I think that's more of an issue for Apple than Microsoft. Apple doesn't "support" time machine backing up to SAMBA volumes, but you can enable the support by flipping a configuration switch. HP's mediasmart software for Apple also enables support for Time Machine targeting WHS. I'm not sure what it does, but I presume it just flips that switch and HP is agreeing to "support that for you". Don't know the underlying details, but its more of a problem with time machine than WHS, and I can't see Microsoft investing any time supporting Time Machine on apple's behalf.

Anyway, I've run Time Machine against WHS for a while now with no problems both with the manual change, and later with HPs client software.

Friday, April 30, 2010 6:39 PM
  • You can submit a product suggestion on Connect , but this is really more of a question for Apple. And Apple doesn't want you to use Time Machine to back up to anything but an Apple Time Capsule. I don't see Microsoft building this into the core Windows Home Server product any more now than I did three+ years ago. Even if Microsoft did build in strong support for Time Machine, do you honestly think Apple is going to say "Windows Home Server is a supported target"?

Note: I don't have a Mac, but I'd love it if Microsoft and Apple could get together and prove me wrong. :) Unfortunately, I think Microsoft just building a Mac connector with full backup capability is more likely, and I don't rate that very highly...

Friday, April 30, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Great comments.  I more or less expected this response but, hey, I can dream can't I? 

gmurray - Just to be clear; you are now using a MediaSmart WHS, backing up Macs with Tiime Machine and it's working well for you?  If that's the case mayby I should just pony up the $$ for an HP MediaSmart (or whatever comes along) when they are available down the road with Vail.  I looked at the instructions to modify the Apple OS a while back and just didn't want to take the risk tinkering with the OS.

Thanks guys! 

• Marked as answer by Don Crabtree Friday, April 30, 2010 7:08 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Don Crabtree Friday, April 30, 2010 7:08 PM
    Friday, April 30, 2010 6:56 PM
  • I'm relatively certain the HP officially supports the scenario since its an advertised feature of the MediaSmart server line. As I said, I'm pretty sure that they just do the same thing as those instructions, under the covers, but they must be putting some kind of HP seal of approval on the thing, I guess ;-)
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:22 PM
  • To clarify though, I haven't heavily used the Time Machine features, as I haven't often had to recover anything. But I've never received any errors from the backup process. 

I'm not sure how easy it is to do a full system restore against WHS using time machine, you may want to check on that one, as the default restore process may not support a samba volume without some tweaking.

Friday, April 30, 2010 7:28 PM
  • My understanding is that we are unfortunately bound to what Apple publishes as far as APIs go.  I’ve heard there are websites that tell you how to do it, but that’s not sufficient for us, we would need a supported method from Apple. 

Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Ken Warren" wrote in message news:0bccaceb-26f9-463e-9b9c-11eaf4ee48d4...

You can submit a product suggestion on Connect , but this is really more of a question for Apple. And Apple doesn't want you to use Time Machine to back up to anything but an Apple Time Capsule. I don't see Microsoft building this into the core Windows Home Server product any more now than I did three+ years ago. Even if Microsoft did build in strong support for Time Machine, do you honestly think Apple is going to say "Windows Home Server is a supported target"?

Friday, April 30, 2010 9:37 PM
  • RIght NOW... you cant even connect an MAC to VAIL SERVER. something to do with SMB SHARES reporting 

the incorrect free disk size. SO for WINDOWS XP/MAC VAIL IS A DEAD END FOR NOW...  FOR WINDOWS XP/MAC

FILE AND PRINTER SHARING is completely broken and useless.  

The good news it works very well with VISTA/7  32/64

Saturday, May 1, 2010 6:47 PM
  • I have to disagree with FeiXM on one point.  From my MacBookPro when mounting shares from WHS Vail, I DO see the free space reported incorrectly.  However, prior to installing WHS Vail I had configured TimeMachine to back-up to a share on WHS ( Original Recipe ) using the instructions found here .  Since I also maintain a copy of all my important data on a separate hardware NAS, I had no qualms about blowing away my WHS box and installing Vail on it.  Once Vail was installed and configured, I synced all my data back to the identically named shares.  Naturally I kept the same machine name and IP address for Vail as I had on WHS V1, and TimeMachine on my MacBookPro is happily backing things up as if nothing ever happened.   I hope this post helps someone out there. 
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 10:37 PM