Antec case internal photos??? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to decide on a case for my WHS build.

Whilst I intend to use a uATX case I want a case with plenty of space for hard drives.  Size isn't too much of a concern, but I don't want a monster.

In current order of preference, I have narrowed the search down to...

Antec 300

Antec NSK6580 - UK

Does anyone have any internal photos of their assembled WHS machine they could share?

I am particularly interested in hard drive mounting, and the placement of hard drive cooling fans, along with inlet air filters if fitted.  My main computer, an Antec 182 has inlet air filters and they work very well.

Saturday, August 23, 2008 9:19 PM

Answers

• The Antec 300 case works great as a WHS box. I had been using on old Enlight midtower, but it only has 2 hard drive bays. When it was time to add a third hard drive I needed a new case. I picked up the Antec 300 on sale at Newegg for about 50 bucks, with free shipping.

The case has six hard drive bays. It provides a nice amount of separation between the drives to allow for airflow. Also the entire front of the case is a metal mesh! Makes for great cooling. The two large fans (Antec tri-cool 120mm back, 140mm top) exhaust air from the case at a good rate (even on low speed). This causes air to be drawn in through the front of the case past the hard drives.

Two additional 120mm fans can be mounted in front of the hard drives. However, I don't think they are really necessary. It's not the number of fans that matter, but smooth airflow through the case.

I would highly recommend it for a WHS computer. Below is a photo of the inside of the case with all the components installed.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/wgdus/Antec-300-case.jpg

Hope this info is useful to someone.
    Warren
    • Marked as answer by Asposium Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:29 AM
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:16 PM

All replies

• If you check the Antec web site you should find manuals for those cases. In general, I've found that Antec includes information about where to place fans, etc. so you should find what you need.
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 1:21 AM
  • DoctorDave,
    I've been eying this case myself as the fan quantity is great.  This case has 2 fan mounting locations in the front for 120mm, 1 120mm in back a 140mm on top and then if you needed to you could put a fan on the side panel.  Below are the links for the case.

Item Page

Item Pictures

jd
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 4:01 AM
  • I have seen the Antec website and Newegg page, but wondered if anyone had used either for a WHS build.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 5:42 AM
  •  DoctorDave wrote:
    I have seen the Antec website and Newegg page, but wondered if anyone had used either for a WHS build.

I'm using the Antec NSK6580 case for my WHS.  It's not the prettiest build. Stick out tongue  The case has five internal & 4 external bays.  I've got a 4x3 backplane installed in the bottom three external bays.  I can have a total of nine 3.5 hard drives.  Perhaps more if I removed the DVD drive (not really neccessary for WHS).  I'm currently only using four hard drives.

There are two 92mm fans in front of the internal hard drives.  I'm using 92mm Antec three speed fans (at lowest speed).

The removable (internal) hard drive rack is nice for installing hard drives.  It slides out, in which you can install hard drives via the normal(?) Antec hard drive trays.

The case is a normal sized mid-tower case. (meaning it's not huge)

Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:41 AM
  •  

many thanks.

antec 300 anyone???

Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:08 AM
  • Here's the link that works, you will need to scroll down. This shows the wiring layouts of a couple of Antec 300 cases

CLICKY

jd
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:30 PM
  • I built a system from the list on the ExtremeTech website that used the Antec NSK3480.  Check out the Antec site for details.  It is very quiet.

The system build was described in www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2236186,00.asp

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:51 PM
  • A bit late on the reply, but I'm using an HTPC case for my home server.

I'm a long-time IT Pro and hardware/software developer, and I found the Thermaltake LANBOX Lite just perfect for a small home server setup.  The case is fully modular and breaks apart into chassis pieces for each part group.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1320&ID=1430

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23739&vpn=VF6000BNS&manufacture=THERMALTAKE

2* 5.25" and 3* 3.5" bays, standard size P.S., USB Firewire Audio ports, well ventilated.

I'm using an ASUS mATX motherboard, Core2Duo 3GHz, 4GB Mushkin RAM, Mushkin 580W modular PS, etc.

FYI: I use Antec P182 cases for my main workstations, they are fantastic.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 5:10 AM
  • The Antec 300 case works great as a WHS box. I had been using on old Enlight midtower, but it only has 2 hard drive bays. When it was time to add a third hard drive I needed a new case. I picked up the Antec 300 on sale at Newegg for about 50 bucks, with free shipping.

The case has six hard drive bays. It provides a nice amount of separation between the drives to allow for airflow. Also the entire front of the case is a metal mesh! Makes for great cooling. The two large fans (Antec tri-cool 120mm back, 140mm top) exhaust air from the case at a good rate (even on low speed). This causes air to be drawn in through the front of the case past the hard drives.

Two additional 120mm fans can be mounted in front of the hard drives. However, I don't think they are really necessary. It's not the number of fans that matter, but smooth airflow through the case.

I would highly recommend it for a WHS computer. Below is a photo of the inside of the case with all the components installed.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/wgdus/Antec-300-case.jpg

Hope this info is useful to someone.
    Warren
    • Marked as answer by Asposium Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:29 AM
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:16 PM