Backup never gets past 2% RRS feed

• Question

• On one of my XP PCs backup has never suceeded since V2 installed: It sits at 2% complete. It is backing up to a central location (USB drive).  Very little disk activity and no network activity. I have waited hours, reconfigured backup settings but it still does not work. I eventually have to give up and cancel out. Cancelling takes 5-10mins to respond, but it has not crashed.

V 1.6 worked OK to same location.

Any ideas?

Monday, December 10, 2007 5:39 AM

Answers

• I phoned support; they acknowledged there were currrent problems with submitting on-line.

While the support person was checking things remotely I found this post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2086259&SiteID=2

I had noticed that CPU utilization was solidly locked on 100% in task mgr when I started backup: No other program would run while Onecare was attempting to backup and there was hardly any disk activity.   

Peer to peer was installed on this PC so I uninstalled peer to peer networking. Backup now completes OK: I cannot say 100% that was the answer, as a couple of other things were done, such as uninstalling Nero (why does MS hate Nero?).

This could be something for others to check if they get the same problem.

David

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:03 PM

All replies

• It turns out it is incredibly slow: I excluded all files except Outlook/ Outlook Express; about 130MB and that is taking over 1 hour to backup. Forget about backing up gigabytes, it would take days. The other networked PC backs up quickly to the same backup location.

EDIT: It took 4 hours to backup 200MB, It predicted a couple of minutes. That means it will take 3 days to do the normal backup.

I tried to submit an online support ticket but it fails with an error.

Contact Technical Support

Error!

We apologize for the inconvenience. There was an error in the submission. Please try again later.
    Monday, December 10, 2007 7:02 AM
  • Any chance that you can submit the support request from the working PC? I would recommend going with support on this. Are you a paid subscriber? If so, on the PC that seems to be working, follow the path for contacting support and see if you can get further.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:36 AM
  • Yes, I have a subscription.

Contacting support fails on any PC, I have tried a few times over the last 12 hrs on 2 PCs.

With V2, MS had made it more difficult to get to support and it doesn't work anyway.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:07 AM
  • I phoned support; they acknowledged there were currrent problems with submitting on-line.

While the support person was checking things remotely I found this post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2086259&SiteID=2

I had noticed that CPU utilization was solidly locked on 100% in task mgr when I started backup: No other program would run while Onecare was attempting to backup and there was hardly any disk activity.   

Peer to peer was installed on this PC so I uninstalled peer to peer networking. Backup now completes OK: I cannot say 100% that was the answer, as a couple of other things were done, such as uninstalling Nero (why does MS hate Nero?).

This could be something for others to check if they get the same problem.

David

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:03 PM
  • Thanks for the update, David. My day is looking up as yours is now the 3rd post in a row that indicates that a root cause was identified and the problem solved or on the way to be solved!

Yes, the Peer to peer networking service seems, for some unknown reason, to really wreak havoc with OneCare. I'll be interested to find out why that is, but it was most certainly the cause of your backup problem.

As for Nero, and other disc writing software, it isn't a hate thing, it is that many of these programs install utilities to watch drive states, and media files, causing conflicts with the burning software used by OneCare. Nero isn't the problem, but InCD can be an issue if installed, as can whatever they are calling the Media Detection/Autoplay software that installs with the Platimum suite.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:34 PM