none
Backup device on Win 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have  Segate Maxtor 3200 I want to use as my offsite backup.  My computer will not recognize it as a device when it is plugged into the usb slot.  I also do not have software for it.
    Saturday, May 20, 2017 8:42 PM

All replies

• You might want to backup do disk and then copy it to your usb drive.

Assuming your usb drive is the e drive. Run a batch file which does this

SQLCMD -SServerName -E -Q"Backup DatabaseName to disk='E:\Backups\DatabaseName.bak' with compression, init"

Now if this does not work try this in a batch file

SQLCMD -SServerName -E -Q"Backup DatabaseName to disk='C:\Backups\DatabaseName.bak' with compression, init"

Move C:\Backups\DatabaseName.bak E:\Backups

Ensure the directory Backups exists on the E drive.

Sunday, May 21, 2017 2:42 AM
  • Hi Mnolan4,

>>My computer will not recognize it as a device when it is plugged into the usb slot.

According to your description, it seems the issue is either with your device, or Windows itself and this has nothing to do with SQL Server. I’d suggest you either post a new thread in Windows forums, or contact your device vendor regarding such issue.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 22, 2017 2:13 AM
  • Hi Mnolan4,

I've searched for Seagate Maxtor 3200 and found a page for its specification.
    https://www.cnet.com/products/maxtor-basics-personal-storage-3200-hard-drive-320-gb-usb-2-0-series/specs/
    If this page is correct, your Maxtor 3200 requires AC power. An AC adapter should be bundled with it.
    You should give electric power to your Maxtor 3200 by using the AC adapter.
    Monday, May 22, 2017 9:45 AM