Want to see WHS 2011 fly.. RRS feed

• Question

• Out the window that is.

I'm really ready to pull my hair out here. Hopefully you guys can help! I've got a trip digit movie library of ripped blu-rays that are in the mkv format. (i know, i know not supported under WMC) I know that I can change the file extension and have some of the files play via WMC on my PS3. (transcoding) I also don't want to lose the ability to play them via silverlight over the internet. Previously I was running PS3 media server and it works great but I'd really like to see all my movies in the WHS media connect vs running additional software to see the files. (call me fickle) Here's the question if I remux the files to a .ts format will WHS 2011 recognize them and play them through the default browser? (WMC on PS3) If so what would you recommend to keep the highest quality for the remuxed movie? Do I have to do a full re-rip of the movie to another format to get them to play?

Any help would be appreciated!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:13 PM

All replies

• Re-encoding will result in some loss of quality. Whether that's acceptable to you only you will be able to answer. A full re-rip to wmv will give better quality and compatibility with Windows Home Server 2011, at the cost of quite a bit of ripping. There are other possibilities as well; those are documented elsewhere.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:45 AM
  • Would you happen to know what those other possibilities are? I'm really frustrated at this point and really just looking for direction. I've really been having some trouble getting documentation on WHS 2011. I really don't want to build a server 2008 machine and do all this from scratch. I just simply don't have the time.

BTW: Thank you for your help!

Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:03 PM
  • I have all my BluRay collection converted to .m4v files to play directly from my WHS server on my 50" Pioneer Plasma - I can tell no difference between them and the original disc. There is no chance of them playing over the Internet with the bandwidth required as an upload from my server being totally limited by my ADSL connection. My DVD rips to .m4v play fine locally and via the Internet.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Donked download a program called Gotsent, this will sort out your MKV's to MP4's without loss of quality, I have done this a few times and doesn't take long if you have a decent spec computer.

As for streaming over the internet, unless you have cable and a decent upload speed I do not know how good this will be. I cannot test it either as I still use V1 for DE.

HMG

Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:39 PM