whs 2011 backup client service errors when starting RRS feed

• Question

• i am trying to set up backups for my computer on my whs 2011, but i am getting the message "no suitable drive exists for backup." my client has an 80 gb ssd and a 500 gb hdd. total data together on both drives is about 200 gb. my server has 2 500 gb drives, 1 250 gb drive and 1 160 gb drive. they are all internal and no external drives are attached. can anyone provide some assistance?

i tried just backing up my client computer with windows backup, and it also will refuse to recognize any of the networked drives and instead insists i backup my computer on DVDs. so i now have no means to backup my computer.

any help would be appreciated. thanks a lot!

• Edited by Joshtb86 Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:38 PM
    Sunday, April 8, 2012 2:26 PM

All replies

• i am also unable to start the "windows server client computer backup service" although i can access the backup functions in the dashboard. the error i get when attempting to start it is "the service on local computer started and then stopped. some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

thanks again!

Sunday, April 8, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Windows Home Server includes a tool which will automatically backup your client computer up. There's nothing for you to "set up" beyond installing the connector software. It will happen each night during a (user definable) backup window.

As for trying to back up your clients directly with the Windows Backup that's built in to Windows, that won't generally work; few desktop versions of Windows allow a backup to a network location. But there's no need with Windows Home Server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, April 9, 2012 12:39 AM
  • Windows Home Server includes a tool which will automatically backup your client computer up. There's nothing for you to "set up" beyond installing the connector software. It will happen each night during a (user definable) backup window.

As for trying to back up your clients directly with the Windows Backup that's built in to Windows, that won't generally work; few desktop versions of Windows allow a backup to a network location. But there's no need with Windows Home Server.

I'm getting an error that it cannot connect to the Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service on my server. When I try to start the service manually on my server, it activates and then says 

"the windows server client compute backup service on local computer started and then stopped. some servbices stop automatically if they are in use by other services or programs."

any suggestions on what to do? it immediately turns the service off after manually activating it. i cannot backup my computers without this service, correct?

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:08 AM
  • The event log is giving me these error outputs

- System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Application Error
    - EventID 1000
    [ Qualifiers] 0
    Level 2
    Task 100
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2012-04-10T12:35:10.000000000Z
    EventRecordID 2031
    Channel Application
    Computer SERVER
    Security
    - EventData
    WSSBackup.exe
    4d6ed362
    WSSBackup.exe
    4d6ed362
    c0000025
    00000000000442ab
    166c
    01cd17165e4d7f03
    C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WSSBackup.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WSSBackup.exe

9bfa09ca-8309-11e1-b502-8c89a5148120

Faulting application name: WSSBackup.exe, version: 6.1.8800.16385, time stamp: 0x4d6ed362
    Faulting module name: WSSBackup.exe, version: 6.1.8800.16385, time stamp: 0x4d6ed362
    Exception code: 0xc0000025
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000442ab
    Faulting process id: 0x166c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd17165e4d7f03
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WSSBackup.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WSSBackup.exe
    Report Id: 9bfa09ca-8309-11e1-b502-8c89a5148120

The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service encountered the following error: Error code: 0x2 API name: GetVolumePathName File: F:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups Error: The system cannot find the file specified.

The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service failed at (297) of (d:\wssg_src\hsbs_colorado\backup\pc\util\datafile.cpp).

I do not have a D drive, so I do not know what file that last error is pointing to.

Please help! Thanks!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:38 PM
  • Try running a CHKDSK /R on all of your disks.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:44 PM
  • which disks - the client or the server? i ran a chkdsk on the server boot drive which was normal and am now running it on one of the other drives.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:20 PM
  • In this case, on your server.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Server. What happened to your D: drive which was created when WHS was installed? What are the drive letters / sizes for your other drives and on which drive is the "Client Computer Backups" folder?

Have you done any configuring of your Server outside the Dashboard?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:39 PM
  • Server. What happened to your D: drive which was created when WHS was installed? What are the drive letters / sizes for your other drives and on which drive is the "Client Computer Backups" folder?

Have you done any configuring of your Server outside the Dashboard?

i have done some configuring, but i cant remember what. i installed windows 7 firewall control. set up some shared folders. may have done some other things.

ive scanned every drive on client and server. no errors were found.

what should i do next?

i do not believe i ever had a D: drive after installation. I have 1 150 gb drive split into C (with the WHS install) and X (which was an empty partition). I have 2 500 gb drives and 1 250 gb. 

• Edited by Joshtb86 Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:53 PM
  • also found VSS errors (but I have vss disabled on all of my drives)

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:58 PM
  • i have done some configuring, but i cant remember what. i installed windows 7 firewall control. set up some shared folders. may have done some other things.

i do not believe i ever had a D: drive after installation. I have 1 150 gb drive split into C (with the WHS install) and X (which was an empty partition). I have 2 500 gb drives and 1 250 gb.

You installed Windows 7 firewall on your server? WHS creates D: when you install and that is the default location for your shared folders. I will ask again, where is the"Client Computer Backups" folder?

You did scans with /R?

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:58 PM
  • You installed Windows 7 firewall on your server? WHS creates D: when you install and that is the default location for your shared folders. I will ask again, where is the"Client Computer Backups" folder?

You did scans with /R?

default location is W:/Serverfolders/client computer backups

but it says it is missing in the server error logs. it asks to restore from a backup or recreate the missing folder. when i try to recreate the missing fodler (in this location above) i get the error

"the folder location is not valid. a server folder cannot be added to a folder that contains a shared folder. select a diff folder location and tryu again"

except the entire serverfolder is not shared with anyone. not sure why this message is coming up. does the drive have to be unshared?

did scans with /r

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:10 PM
  • unshared the drive and managed to repair the client backup folder! but then when i run the server backup setup, i get this error message

"the wizard cannot find any disks that are suitable for a backup destination. attach a backup disk to the server, and then click refresh list."

I am not sure what this message means. I do not have any external hard drives to attach to it. Why can I not use this drive internally? There is nothing else on the drive. It is also unshared now.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:14 PM
  • let me be a little more clear. 

when I go to home and then set up server backup,and run the wizard, it finds no backup drive suitable for backup.however, I just started backing up my PC through the server, it is now at 3% and continuing.

What drives are suitable to backup the server? Can it only be an external hard drive? Or is there any way to back it up using an internal hard drive. 

thank you so much for your help so far!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:21 PM
  • You are confusing two things here. You are trying to back up your Server (and it correctly points out that there is nowhere to back it up to) but what I think you are trying to do is manually back up a client computer? You do that in the Dashboard, Computers & backups, select the client you want to backup and run "Start a backup for the Computer".

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:22 PM
  • What drives are suitable to backup the server? Can it only be an external hard drive? Or is there any way to back it up using an internal hard drive. 
    WHS is designed to be backed up to external drives so that they can be easily rotated offsite for data security. You can however use internal drives (I use a SATA caddie) and do the same thing - just don't add the drive to server storage or you will not be able to back up the Server to it.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:23 PM
  • What drives are suitable to backup the server? Can it only be an external hard drive? Or is there any way to back it up using an internal hard drive. 

WHS is designed to be backed up to external drives so that they can be easily rotated offsite for data security. You can however use internal drives (I use a SATA caddie) and do the same thing - just don't add the drive to server storage or you will not be able to back up the Server to it.

how do you not add the drive to server storage?
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:11 PM
  • When you add a drive, it asks you if you want it added to server storage - if you say "Yes" it gives it a drive letter and adds it as server storage. If you back out of that option it is then available for server backups (you may need to check the "show all available disks" before it is seen).

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:35 PM
  • go to your ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups

rename Commit.dat to Commit.dat.bak

reboot.

right click on my computer, manage, go to services where ever that is. restart the back up processes.

wait a few minutes before trying to start a back up.

I have had to do this twice now.

• Proposed as answer by Markga71 Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:12 AM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:48 PM
  • Thank you Rev Aaron you are a legend, worked perfect for me I noted commit.dat initially was 0KB in size, and the new commit.dat was 5KB.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:13 AM
  • This solved my problem as well. My client backup service now starts and I have a backup underway. Thanks!
    Sunday, November 10, 2013 4:58 PM